Notices

Changing for Good

Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Changing for Good

I just finished reading the book "Changing for Good: A revolutionary six-stage program for overcoming bad habits and moving your life positively forward" by James O. Prochaska, PhD, John C Norcross, PhD, and Carlo C Diclemente, PhD.

I've owned this book for many years. I've read bits and pieces of it, making small progress, as I've tried to quit drinking and smoking dozens of times over the past 3 decades. Every time I'd attempt to quit something, I'd add to my library, and would sometimes get through the book, sometimes set it down. This one I picked up and set down several times.

However, now with 9 months+ of sobriety, I had reached a plateau, and over the last week gave serious thought to chucking it all and returning to drink. I consulted my recovery library (ok, my dozen or so books), and this one jumped out. I was seeking to find how to get unstuck.

The title overpromises a little. It's not really a program as most alcoholics might think of program. But, it does provide a great framework for us to see for ourselves where we are in our recovery. It's kind of a "What to Expect.." type book. The stages described may be new to many, but I found that knowing which stage I most closely identified with helped to reinforce my desire to succeed, and to not chuck it all.

The best chapters for me were at the end, Chapter 10, "A Changers Manual" to the end of the appendices. It nicely wrapped up what we should do with all the stages we have gone through, and how do we assess or track our progress. It was pretty reassuring.

Maybe this thread belongs in the "Books" thread, but I thought others who are in their first year or so of sobriety might benefit by mention of this book. I recommend it to help develop another perspective on your growth, and to help in your continued journey in sobriety.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Thank you LoftyIdeals! I believe it's time to hit the bookstore, grab a coffee, and sit down for some good reading!

Have a fabulous sober day! Don't give up, you are so worth sobriety! It does get better!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I haven't read this particular book but I'm familiar with the work of Prochaska & DiClemente. It's great stuff, particularly with regard to the Stages of Change. SMART Recovery is built, in part, on these ideas and I've found them very helpful in my own life.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you found a book that helped you.

Books have paved the way for my recovery.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the book recommendation, and well done for getting past the blip without caving. You are an inspiration x