Notices

Back to Square One

Old 05-15-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to Square One

Here I am again, back to square one. Slipped badly last night and getting totally fed up with it.
I feel fabulous when not drinking after a couple of days. Get back to normal living and then 'wham', a great big overwhelming urge to pick up.
It's getting more and more difficult to start getting sober over and over again.
Why the hell is this happening.
Then I start thinking well I may as well drink tonight as I have some in the house, and then tomorrow is payday so I can buy some, then I'm in work the day after with a lady who is hard work so I need a drink to relax me after that, then it's back to Friday night and so on and so on.
There always seems something to 'make' me drink.
I am an intelligent 54 year old female, so why does this not make sense anymore.
On other threads I have been reading I agree with folk that say they want to live a better life, a life of their own choice, alchohol takes that away.
I can't believe this is happening. I need to put my life in order but to be honest I'm frightened of drinking the last glass of wine, knowing it has to be the last. It sounds so stupid.
Why is it so difficult to say goodbye to it.
Also when I drink now it really knocks me sick, and my appetite haas gone completely.
Sorry to go on but as with other people recently, I feel as if I've hit rock bottom or nearly so.
Thanks for being here.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to hear you're struggling Bonnie - but I'm glad you're back

Sometimes if we keep faltering in our commitment I think we need to ask ourselves the tough questions:

Whats your support like?
What are you actively doing for your recovery?
What do you think you can add to what you've been doing?

D
Old 05-15-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

alcohol is cunning, baffling,powerful, patient, and deadly. without help it is too much for us.
it may be difficult for ya because of fear. fear of what life will be without it. personally i havent said goodbye. i havent sworn off either.i made a decision i would go to any lengths to get sober and stay sober. it was the biggest and best decision i ever made, but i couldnt do it ith my own thinkin.

( from 24 hrs a day)

Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life.
The most important decision I ever made was my decision
to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life
depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the
world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything
I have, my whole life depends on that one thing. Can I afford
ever to forget this, even for one minute?

I will discipline myself. I will do this disciplining now.
I will turn out all useless thoughts. I know that the
goodness of my life is a necessary foundation for its
usefulness. I will welcome this training, for without it
God cannot give me his power. I believe that this power
is a mighty power when used in the right way.

I pray that I may face and accept whatever discipline is
necessary. I pray that I may be fit to receive God's power
in my life.

make the decision!!! you are worth it and a sober life rocks!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

If you stop now and stay stopped, your life will become so much more positive! Can you try to get to an AA meeting to meet others who understand? It may help you.

I wish you well,
Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are 'sick n tired of being sick n' tired'. Dive in the water is nice and take time to feel comfortable by listening at meetings, meeting new people & friends. Give yourself a chance & give yourself time & room to grow facing the sun, rather than the darkness alcohol casts upon you. You can do it if you WANT IT!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Bonnie try this link to find an AA meeting in Ireland.
Find a Meeting | Information on AA | Alcoholics Anonymous
It's not easy to walk through the door of your first meeting. I think you will be glad you did though. Tell people it's your first meeting. You don't need to say anything if you don't want to. Just listen. Take care.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can change your life Bonnie...I changed mine...I just had to open up my mind...Take suggestions for a change...Do things I didn't want to do or even think would work. I'd been wrong all my life anyway....They were right....It worked.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bonnie, are you attending AA meetings ?? .....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Bonnie1 View Post
I am an intelligent 54 year old female, so why does this not make sense anymore.
Intelligence has nothing to do with it. You can't outsmart alcohol. You can't think your way out of alcoholism. But you can surrender to it. Surrender your relationship with drink. Surrender to the fear of never drinking again. Surrender to the romance you have, in your head, with alcohol.

Surrender, or accept it can get a lot worse. Because it can and will if you don't quit.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Bonnie,

Glad you are back. Sounds like you are trying to do this on your own and getting sick of failing. I will be sober one year at the end of the month, I really needed support to get this far which Imfound with AA and this forum and making sobriety number one in my life.

I am 58 and didn't think I could cope without alcohol to see me through my problems, my boredom and anxiety.
A year later I can see clearly that the alcohol was holding me back. I feel confident now that changes I make in my life are not reactions as in the past. I am not scared to make the changes.

Getting sober has been the best and most important thing I have done in my life.

You can do this Bonnie if you want it enough, get the support you need.

All the best
Love
CaiHong