Notices

Friends

Old 05-14-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friends

Things are getting better and worse at the same time for me. This is the first time I've EVER felt like the obsession to drink has been removed. Even my husbands drinking doesn't bother me very much anymore. A true miracle. I'm attending meetings regularly and making new sober friends (for the first time). I feel hope and relief at the same time. However, all of these changes I'm making means I'm leaving a lot of people behind, and lately this has made me so sad. Many of the friends were just "drinking buddies", but a couple friends were/are really special and important to me and I miss them a lot. Unfortunately, everything they do revolves around drinking, and I'm finally putting my sobriety first, which means staying away from slippery situations, and for now anyway, I can't be around heavy drinkers and lots of alcohol. Maybe that will change someday and it won't be hard at all. I doubt it though. Anyway, I really just needed to vent and I appreciate so much having a place where I'm able to do that. I am sad today and am mourning the changes in my life. I suppose this is a normal part of the process? I do consider y'all part of my new group of sober friends. Thank you for your constant encouragement and support.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
Maybe that will change someday and it won't be hard at all.
You get some time under your belt and do those 12 steps....It will change. You may find you don't want to be around those people anymore...That you have better friends...That don't revolve around alcohol. But if you want to be around them...You'll be able to...As that book promises....You'll be safe and protected...Just do the work.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds pretty normal to me Eliasson
Old 05-14-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Eliasson,

I knew instinctively that I had to remove a couple of close people and a family member from my life when I stopped drinking. It was tough, mostly because I felt a bit lost and alone. But the most amazing thing happened. Very soon after I did this, two wonderful women walked into my life. They both became dear friends and one was truly a mentor to me. Maybe I had to make space in my life for the wonderful people?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep, I can relate. Definitely missed a few folks, but in the end the gains far outweigh the losses, socially and otherwise.

I'm fine being around drinkers now, so I occasionally hang out with some of my old drinking buddies. But the thing is.... I've found it is not fun to be around someone who's had more than a couple of drinks. Not because I'm tempted — quite the opposite, if anything it makes me glad I don't drink, because drunk people are so incredibly tedious. They say the same thing over and over, as if it somehow becomes funny or interesting through sheer repetition. Things sure have changed in the 17 months since I quit, because everyone was so witty and charming when I was still drinking...
Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Annas absolutely right - I've met some amazing people in the last few years

All my friends now support me in how I want to live my life and still want to be a part of it, whether they themselves drink or not

Thats a real blessing

D
Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yup. got sad about having to break away from the wet faces. then got pissed off when they never called to see how i was( selfish self centered ***** i was!). now, im good with it. i know it was my choice to go to any lengths to get sober. i pray for them when they come into my thoughts.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel the same way you do and am having a very similar experience. If it has to be this way so be it... sobriety is worth that sacrifice.