Notices

is this normal

Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is this normal

I havent drank for 15 days now but feel absolutely terrible. Can't get motivated for anything or think positively. Is this normal and how long will it go on? thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today is my 4 month anniversary. I go from feeling energetic to lethargic. Can't remember crap most days (then again, I'm kinda old :-} ) The first couple of weeks I was very tired and ate like a horse. We have done a ton of bad stuff to our bodies and minds over a great amount of time. My Dr. said it will take about a year to feel "normal". Give it time, keep up the great work and seek medical advice if you are concerned. Way to go, Dexter - very proud of your accomplishments!!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You are very early in sobriety and it's very normal for your feelings, both physical and mental, to be all over the place. It will settle down with time. Be patient and treat yourself well.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Dexter

I'm going through the same (26 days today). I didn't have any acute withdrawal - just a lack of return of that 'zing' we all want. The last time I gave up long term (was sober for a little more than a year and then stupidly thought I could moderate my drinking) I seem to remember it was about 3 months before I would say I felt 'great' much of the time, but I imagine it varies a lot between people depending on how much they were drinking, for how long, and what their general health was like.

I does seem rough doesn't it - you give up the booze and feel worse for a while. Dang! I think that's why we need to be a bit careful with ourselves in the first months and not expect too much early on - it's enough to be sober at this stage, I think.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Congrats Dexter,

In early recovery its like a roller coaster ride with our emotions & our body. It always is a good idea when one stops using to go have a physical. I had to learn to be patient w/myself. It took me a lot of years to get this screwed up so it is going to take some time to straighten myself out. You also may look up some info on PAWS = Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms that will give you lots of info you are looking for. My motto is when I need to know ask Google

Do you have a support system like meetings or a sponsor? Anyway at least you have SR so keep coming back.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

It takes a long time to start feeling "normal", and if you're like me, "normal" didn't feel too good to begin with. So I have worked with a therapist, been taking meds and I'm doing the 12 steps. I started to feel like what I imagine most normal people feel like at around 9 months or so.

I felt like absolute crap for at least the first month or two though, so support was especially important for me during that timeframe.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I still don't feel fantastic after 10 weeks but then I never felt remotely good when I was drinking. Go easy on yourself, get plenty of rest, eat well and do a bit of exercise if you feel up to it. Things will get better. I think I've felt a little better every day really.

Well done on the 15 days and I hope you feel a bit better soon x
Old 05-14-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dexter41 View Post
I havent drank for 15 days now but feel absolutely terrible. Can't get motivated for anything or think positively. Is this normal and how long will it go on? thanks
Yes it is normal for most. I am day 30 and all I really want to do is eat and sleep. My moods are so up and down, I appear bipolar. I almost put my 2 weeks notice in at my job today. Was happy and laughing, then had a cry a little later in the day. I remember I was this way when I quit for 5 months last time. My energy and moods started leveling out at about 2 months. It is well worth it though. Stay sober. It can and will get better. Congrats on 15 days.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Things change and through your tired state any happiness or satisfaction.
Hope there is.
John.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done on 15 days, keep up the great work.