Notices

drowned memories

Old 05-11-2012, 11:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drowned memories

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks for me and its going great..I feel good, am thinking clearly and have tons of energy. I have cravings but want to be sober and happy more. The problem i am having now is dealing with all of the junk that i have drank away for the past 27 years...Everything from a cruddy childhood(i now realize what an injustice i have done with my own kids being a drunk all of there lives so far) to an affair my wife had a few years ago..anybody ever question there relationships or love after sobering up? I having a bit of a struggle with all of this. I can see now that I have never really givin myself a chance to heal or get to the bottom of things. I just numbed it all out by being drunk.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah...That's why I worked the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous....To take a real honest look at my past...Clear it up....And right my wrongs. It's called freedom. I'd recommend it.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, absolutely!
I realise that I've got so many stored up emotions and memories which are bubbling to the surface now. My dreams are so vivid and sometimes disturbing and I have to stop and think about why I am reacting to certain situations like I am.
I'm 5 weeks sober and am looking at this as a journey of self discovery. I have no idea who I really am. It's scary and exciting in equal measures.
Get some support if you need it, AA is working for me but there are other avenues to go down.
However vulnerable it makes us feel, I'm damn sure we wont regret giving up and will learn to value ourselves a whole lot more xx
Old 05-11-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks jeni everything you just said is exactly how I am feeling. I am looking forward to getting to know myself and sorting out all of my baggage . I wish you the best of luck on your journey As well
Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi badatbooze

just pick up that debris one piece at a time...you'll be surprised how much you get done when you look back.

Let healing happen in it's own time too - most of my first 90 days was just focused on 'not drinking' y'know?

D
Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Badatbooze...in my opinion, this is why so many of us have a hard time stopping and staying stopped. The things we drank over are still there when we stop drinking and without support, it's usually too much for us to handle alone. The fellowship of AA and the good people of this forum give me the support I need, and the Twelve Steps help me move past the things that kept me locked up in a bottle. I hope you find the support you need.

--Fenris.