SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   newbie; met my goal now what? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/256535-newbie-met-my-goal-now-what.html)

Bmbdhbr 05-11-2012 09:10 PM

newbie; met my goal now what?

So I decided last week I was gonna see if I could go weekdays without drinking. I did great! Besides a couple days this week where i was on my feet for 13 hrs working, then come home and cook dinner for 5, take out the garbage, and spend the remainder of the evening taking care of my father who had a stroke last year and needs 24 hr care. I really could have gone for a cold one on those two days. But i didnt cave. Well here we are it's 9 pm on friday night. I did what i set out to do right?.. mean I worked hard all day, cooked for the family. its my turn to relax right?.. Only problem is i feel great and i want to continue not drinking and I know if I go out I will drink. I wont get ********* probably only have 3 or 4 drinks over 3 or 4 hrs. but I dont want too. But something inside wants me to go and its pissing me off. I dont like it. please help. fyi this is my first post. Please be kind

Veritas1 05-11-2012 09:16 PM

Don't drink

Seriously...don't drink.

You say you wish to continue not drinking.

It's hard to quit drinking while drinking.

I think it's hard for people like us to just "be".

Can you just relax, and close your eyes and slow it down. Calm the mind and the thoughts that you need to go anywhere.

Any little ones to go and just sit with, talk to, read a story, "be" with...go "be" with your Dad?

If not, is there something you can read or a good movie to watch?

The thing the ones that love us want from us is our time. To be present is a gift. You don't have to go anywhere. I am sure all the love is right there where you are. No need to sabotage it by drinking.

Dee74 05-11-2012 09:21 PM

hi and welcome Bmbdhbr :)

I can guarantee you'll be glad for waking up tomorrow not having drunk :)

If you want to do something tonight there must be a million things to do that don't involve alcohol?

D

Ghostly 05-11-2012 09:32 PM

Welcome Bmbdhbr. People here are generally kind.

Well, from your post it sounds like believe you have a problem with alcohol. If that is true, then try to find a way to achieve a sober life. You've done well, and it sounds like you want that to continue. Find a way to stick with it. Consider a support group of some form.

FYI, just over two years ago I did what you did. I wanted to see if I could go Monday through Friday without drinking. During that time someone reached out to me, and I knew I wanted to continue with sobriety. I made it to that Friday and just kept going with it. It sucked at times, but I am at a place I would never be at if I didn't stop drinking. A much better place.

In the end, you need to decide what you want to do and go for it. Keep us posted. :)

eJoshua 05-11-2012 09:33 PM

Welcome to SR! Congratulations on reaching your initial goal. I think it's great that you learned that not drinking can be rewarding.

Time to come up with some sober activities. You may find that if you decide to stop drinking for good that you have to make some new friends, or lose some of the old ones.

Best wishes in your sober activities!

Bmbdhbr 05-11-2012 09:52 PM

Im feeling pretty good. Im glad I lost track of time and it's almost 10 now so I dont even really want to go ot anymore. thanks everybody for thier advice. Tommorow I am spending the day turning a part of my garage into a gym so thats a good sober activity right!!!!...haha

DisplacedGRITS 05-11-2012 10:20 PM

Congrats! Funny how you can string those sober times together and suddenly you don't have time for drinking, lol. Keep up the good work!

Sapling 05-11-2012 10:28 PM

Good for you...Try it for a month....It might grow on you. What's your drinking history like?

instant 05-11-2012 10:59 PM

That something is 'craving'

well done on your achievement!!