Notices

Alcohol a disease?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

Alcohol a disease?

Ever since joining SR, I have read a lot of people's comments on how alcohol is a disease. When I think disease, cancer comes to mind. My mind immediately thinks, "Well, no one brought cancer on themselves (at least not intentionally)." Alcohol is something we chose, and we chose to let the habit go as far as it did for us. How then is a choice a disease? Just curious. Not looking to debate. I would really love to hear some explainations so that I can better understand the mind-set of some of you. What are your thoughts on this? Because I take full responsibility for my addiction and what it has done to me and those around me.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't buy the whole disease model either. I saw a real disease in progress, my mother died of cancer 6 weeks ago and I cannot draw any parallels between what she went through and my own alcohol consumption. I'm expecting that there will be people posting that lifestyle choices can impact on health, my mother used to smoke (she quit 17 years before she became ill) ergo her disease was also a 'choice' or some such rationale. To my mind, one can choose to quit drinking, no one can opt out of real diseases like cancer, alzhiemers, MS etc etc. I agree with alcoholism being progressive but not with it being a disease. Where is the free will and the possibility of liberation in that interpretation???
Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exactly my mind-set. Thank you for sharing!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think people expect alcohol to cause an addictive disease in them either, but sometimes it does. Just the same as smoking sometimes causes cancer, and choosing a poor diet can also contribute to cancer. Lack of exercise can cause heart disease. When someone chooses to not exercise, they are not choosing to have heart disease, but it happens.

Alcoholism is a disease and I believe alcoholics process alcohol in a different way from normal people. However, I do believe that for many alcoholics, there are underlying issues that contribute to the disease such as depression, low-self-esteem and anxiety.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is from the US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention:

The modern disease theory of alcoholism states that problem drinking is sometimes caused by a disease of the brain, characterized by altered brain structure and function.[1] The existence of alcoholism as a disease is accepted by some within the medical and scientific communities,[2] although critics exist. The American Medical Association (AMA) had declared that alcoholism was an illness in 1956. In 1991, The AMA further endorsed the dual classification of alcoholism by the International Classification of Diseases under both psychiatric and medical sections.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think you'll find people on both sides - it's a topic that comes up pretty often, but even the some of the experts are split on it. Here's what I understand about the disease concept:

There are certain criteria developed by health organizations as to what defines "disease" (predictable symptoms, follows a progressive course, etc.). Those criteria, plus the possibility of a genetic link, enable alcoholism to be classified as a disease. It helps doctors and psychologists in making an official diagnosis and treatment plan, helps funding for research, government support, education, etc....

In other words, there has to be something, some recognized condition, to treat (other than "you drink too much), if that makes sense..... There are other diseases like diabetes that can be linked to lifestyle choices, as well as mental/emotional issues like depression, bulemia/anorexia, bi-polar, etc, that are also considered diseases. Like a lot of "diseases" alcoholism is complex and they don't fully understand it yet.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Actually, I'm more interested in what you think. That's what really matters in recovery. Whatever model we subscribe to regarding alcoholism is certainly the basis for what will work in recovery.

What method of recovery are you opting for?

Does the mention of disease rattle your beast or salesman and expose him so he can be seperated from you and eventually silenced?

Or does the disease concept allow you to seperate yourself from the disease, to be sorted through the 12-steps.

Or none of the above.

In my experience, so much of our success depends on what we believe in and think, which IMO is an integral piece of the puzzle.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is no evidence that I'm aware of that shows there is an innate physiological difference between addicts and non-addicts. After addiction takes hold then the brains of addicts and non do display differences in the pleasure receptors, those of addicts as we can imagine, are rather burnt out !! But this is after the fact.

Can people have differences in tolerance etc? Yes. We can see evidence of this with native peoples of America and Australia for example. But non of this is evidence of disease. All it shows us is that there are potential differences between how people can metabolize alcohol.

In regards to the lifestyle argument relating to cancer patients, of course no one would choose to be ill even if they choose to continue smoking, eating burgers everyday, being a couch potato etc etc. The difference though is that an involuntary process begins within their bodies that, possibly, cannot be reversed. A gene is activated to begin the overproduction of cells that are the beginning of a lung tumor for example. (I'm not an oncologist but that is my idiot understanding). How in the name of God is that the same as someone, like me, who has an internal dialogue along the lines of 'If i don't stop drinking two bottles of wine a night I will damage my body and die 20 years younger/ I want to have a few drinks tonight I've had a hard day'. Even though it's torture I can still choose an outcome. OK, granted, the damage could be done already, but the problem for the addict is essentially a mental one. It is a battle of the mind to control the body. (Except where there is a physical dependence but that is only temporary anyway.)
Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

I think that living in the modern world with its many treatment options colors the perception of alcoholism as a disease. It should be remembered that before AA came along, the only "treatment" an alcoholic could hope for was to be institutionalized, locked up in a hospital or sanitarium (often repeatedly). It was thought to be a moral flaw, a lack of willpower, or something along those lines that led to alcoholism.

I've never really liked the comparisons to cancer -- I think schizophrenia is a closer analogy. A schizophrenic (or really, anyone with a mental illness) can choose whether or not to take their meds, but unless they actively treat their disease, the symptoms they experience aren't a "choice", and the disease is always there, right under the surface. Likewise, I can choose whether or not to treat my disease, take my "AA medicine", and if I don't, the symptoms I experience (drinking and all the mental, emotional, physical and spiritual side-effects that come along with it) are not a choice. I didn't choose to be an alcoholic. I can only choose what I do about the fact that I am.

--Fenris.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcohol is definitely NOT a disease, its a chemical. Little typo in the OP there

This is the newcomers to recovery forum. Whatever we post here should be either newcomers asking for help, or responses to the newcomer relating what worked for us getting sober. I do not see how the endless and pointless debate over if it is a disease or not helps a newcomer get or stay sober. JMHO.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Although I don't see it as a disease, some do... that does NOT mean those who consider it a disease don't take full responsibility for it.

There is no right answer.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Comparing alcoholism to cancer is pretty rough because, generally speaking, CA is the end-all, trumping body of disease. But that doesn't make alcoholism NOT disease because it doesn't follow the same process.

Before I go on, I don't condone the use of calling alcoholism a disease as an excuse. There is no excuse for continued alcoholism. If you have it, like us, get treatment. If you go on your destructive alcoholic way, calling it a disease is no excuse. No sympathy, nothing.

THe reason thought why it is defined as a disease is because it does follow a path, has symptoms, and cause systemic damage to the body. Generally it is just a health/scientific term. Additionally, the persons may or may not have different genetic make up and brain function that leads to the addiction or uncontrollable drinking.

It could be as simple as certain unknown hormones not being produced to stiffen the alcoholic craving, much like those with the disease diabetes are unable to produce or recognize insulin.

Is alcoholism a disease? Yes in my opinion. Is that an excuse? NO!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

I see alcoholism more like a cousin of diabetes. Something is definitely different inside some of us.

Kind of like asking "why" did you drink?

Alcohol, alcoholism, alcoholic, which came first? The chicken or the egg?

Point being, what are you doing today to ensure that you are staying stopped from drinking and participating in self-destruction?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

alcoholism is a disease of the mind and spirit. no medical help would/could relieve it. at one time, i may have had a choice of whether or not i drank, but i crossed the line and alcohololism was making my choices for me.
i also have cancer.diagnosed stage 3c melanoma in 06( 13 months into recovery). it is a disease of the body. i am accountable for it happening. mind and spirit would not have helped it, only how i live with it. medical help was/is necessary.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
This is the newcomers to recovery forum. Whatever we post here should be either newcomers asking for help, or responses to the newcomer relating what worked for us getting sober. I do not see how the endless and pointless debate over if it is a disease or not helps a newcomer get or stay sober. JMHO.
To clarify, I am a newcomer. One week so far, and I was seeking answers/opinions to this, because I wanted to hear what seasoned recovering alcoholics had to say about it. I felt that it would contribute to my knowledge and recovery. Thank you for noticing where it may have gotten out of hand, though. That was not my intention.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I see alcoholism more like a cousin of diabetes. Something is definitely different inside some of us.

Kind of like asking "why" did you drink?

Alcohol, alcoholism, alcoholic, which came first? The chicken or the egg?

Point being, what are you doing today to ensure that you are staying stopped from drinking and participating in self-destruction?
Most definitely the chicken came first. Most definitely I came first and my intention to drink to numb pain came first. I think their are some comparison arguments mentioned here today that make sense. But ultimately, I agree with those of you that have left it open and said that it's up to the person in recovery. To me, I make plans to dodge the bullet where I can, and other times I use tricky distractions to get my mind off drinking, while still other times I just sit and wait it out and deal with the frustration and pain of sitting there wanting alcohol but knowing it's no good for me. I appreciate the challenge. I try to observe from all angles. I apologize if the debate-like atmosphere offended anyone. I was really just seeking new perspectives and I thank you all for sharing.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience leads me to see addiction like some kind of mental illness - thats how I've come to make sense of it....but to be honest, I just don't know

I'm just grateful I was able to change my life.

I'm also grateful I didn't really need to know the answer to this question in order to change my life y'know?

D
Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My experience leads me to see addiction like some kind of mental illness - thats how I've come to make sense of it....but to be honest, I just don't know

I'm just grateful I was able to change my life.

I'm also grateful I didn't really need to know the answer to this question in order to change my life y'know?

D
I can definitely see where that is very true! I guess it's humbling to realize that the diagnosis matters very little when compared to just getting well! I'm very in my head a majority of the time. Overthinking, and rethinking lots of things. So at the beginning of today, this question seemed relevant. Right now, I don't really care anymore. It's a beautiful day.

You know, it rained here all day long. But it was so beautiful. Spring is here. The trees were so green, everything soaking up the rain fall to grow new things. That smell of rain, so nice. I had the windows down on the car ride to work, because it had stopped raining briefly. There is so much beauty all around us. I feel like I'm wasting precious time trying to understand so much, when I could really just be spending my time getting to know myself again, and learning to listen and learn from others. There is so much more ....
Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For something to be classified as a disease, doesn't it have to be diagnoseable by a medical professional? Can a doctor acurately diagnose alcoholism without any scientific tests or guidelines? To me, alcoholism is in the grey area here. I'm not really sure what to think.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It may not be a disease but it's just as bad as one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!