Notices

Second Day And I have a terrible Headache

Old 05-09-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Second Day And I have a terrible Headache

Hello all again. Thank you so much for all of the support, how overwhelming!

So, finals are over, I haven't slept in 36 hours, (two all nighters) and I'm officially a Senior. Who!!

I didn't drink last night obviously because I had a 50 page portfolio due at 9AM. But, I took my last final at five and on the way home thought about picking up a drink. I decided against it, because I wanted to test myself, as many of you suggested.

I was fine throughout the day, focused and (tired) but, fine.

Now, it's around the time I have a drink, and I have this terrible throbbing headache that is burning the sides of my skull. I'm exhausted, and don't know if it's sleep deprivation or withdraw. I've been going all day on caffeine and prayers and I think I'll go to bed now because my eyes are starting to burn. I don't even feel like drinking, I just feel tired.

This headache is akin to the headaches I get if I go three days without smoking. But again, I'm not sure.

What were some of the early signs of withdraw for people and when did the symptoms begin?

I talked to a few people about alcoholism, some people that had experience with it, I asked at what point do you know you depend on alcohol? They basically said if thats all you think about, and if you can't function without it. But that is not the feedback I've gotten here. There seems to be plenty of people that function just fine without it and plan when they can have it. They said alcoholics drink because they need it, not because they just want a drink.

I guess I'm trying to sort this out in my head, and I think its going to be a process. Tomorrow there is an end of the year Scholar BBQ and I'm wondering if I just abstain, or join in the celebration and see about moderation and if I can have a couple glasses of wine and see how it goes. I was really looking to forward to meeting up with the girls and socializing with my friends.

For those of you that don't know me yet, for the past month or so, I've been drinking 4 or 5 nights out of the week, and usually can nearly finish a pint before I go to bed. It's usually spaced between three of four hours apart. I can drink half a pint in one sitting and feel buzzed, enough to turn in. I mostly drink right before I'm ready for bed. After all my work stuff is done.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most people experience headaches ReachingOut...I hope they won't go on too long. See your Dr if you're concerned of course

drinking a lot of caffeine can give you a headache too - it's a diuretic so it can really dry you out - make sure you're well hydrated through the day

D
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

I've only been sober a week, but I can tell you I have experienced headaches, shakiness, bad anxiety, sleep deprivation, nausea, and hot flashes. Everyone is different. Just keep an eye on what you're experiencing, especially if it gets worse. I have to tell you, I really appreciate your openness and your willingness to really figure this out for yourself. It's inspiring! Keep it up!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Regarding the BBQ i personally would abstain. It's a bit early in my opinion to start thinking about moderation.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tomorrow there is an end of the year Scholar BBQ and I'm wondering if I just abstain, or join in the celebration and see about moderation and if I can have a couple glasses of wine and see how it goes.
If you have to 'see' about moderation, I think it's a bad idea.

I wouldn't go - not day 3 - but if you do go... at least make a commitment to abstain.

It won't be easy tho...
D