Notices

Changing Patterns

Old 05-09-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changing Patterns

I need tons of comfort food right now and I have NOTHING at home but I can't shop at my normal grocery store - they sell alcohol.

So many times I've absent-mindedly picked up a bottle and while in line say to myself "what are you doing?" Only to find myself singing to myself in the mirror half an hour later and then shaking and shamed the next morning...

So today I'm getting on the BUS (not the train - I'd have to walk by a liquor store) to shop in a neighborhood far away in a store that does NOT sell alcohol.

What patterns have you all had to change?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had to quit hanging out in bars. Lost a ton of drinking buddies but gained a bunch of AA buddies. Oh yeah - I had to go to AA, read the book, and work the steps.

The AA book actually tells us we CAN go into bars, or in your case, your grocery store, if we have a reason (other than booze) to do so. Having said that, do what you have to do in early sobriety. Just realize this is not permanent.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drank alone, at home, daily.

Now I make sure I'm out of the house and busy at the times I'd normally go for the Stoli. I go to the gym, an AA meeting, run errands, etc. I find that if I'm busy until 7:00 - 7:30, I don;t feel any compulsion to drink.

It's been very helpful.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I avoided the wine and beer aisle in the supermarket so that was okay for me.

I started walking a lot, every day, and I got involved in volunteer work which got me outside of my head.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great ideas. I was having the same issue today. Don't stay in your house all day like I did. The only reason I went out of the house was to have my teeth cleaned at the dentist. We must over come that fear of driving by and going into stores because it sells alcohol. Life must go on.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Bring a friend shopping with you. I made new friends in AA and not only did I get a ride to the store, but I had company!

Lots of things need to change and it's all good!