Notices

New here....

Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile New here....

Hi Everyone,

I've been here for a couple weeks and finally decided to register and tell my story.

I'm 30 years old and have been drinking steadily since college. Like many people here it started out as just going to parties and what would normally be called "alcohol abuse" I just chalked up as "college life". When I graduated college I still continued by party style drinking through my mid twenties. A little over 6 years ago I met the love of my life who last year became my wife. Being with her opened my eyes to my drinking issues and I steadily cut back.

I was never a "drink every day" kind of alcohol abuser, it was more reserved for the weekends. About 4 years ago I cut out drinking during the week and would only drink on the weekends. That didnt really work, since when I would drink, I would DRINK. So i cut out keeping alcohol in the house. That helped but I would still drink excessively when out on the town or at bars with friends.

Over the years the issues related to my drinking got worse. I would get into frequent fights with my now wife, once I punched a hole in the wall, I've thrown computers, all around destructive behavior. This would only occur once every 10 or 20 times a drank, so somehow in my head I still had it "under control".

Last year prior to getting married my drinking was still the same. I would abstain during the week, but would drink on the weekends with once every 10 or so times ending up "drunk" and arguing or just being an all around jerk.

I tried "moderation management" which obviously doesn't work for someone like me who can't moderate. Once I had 1 drink in my system, its hard to tell what state I would be in by the end of the night.

A few weeks ago after another night out with friends that ended with me throwing up on myself, almost getting arrested for drunk in public and my wife driving all over to find me, I've finally wised up and admitted that I can no longer drink. Not in moderation, not on weekends, not birthdays or celebrations. The date of my last drink was April 18th.

I'm using AVRT and it has been working very well for me. I used to get my drinking "under control" by abstaining for 30 days knowing I could drink on day 31 if I wanted to. Now that I've finally stopped lying to myself and made an honest commitment to give up alcohol once and for all its been very freeing. I finally feel at peace, like a huge burden has been lifted of my back.

It's been very inspiring to read many of your stories on here and I've been amazed how many people had similar drinking habits that I had.

The road might not always be the easiest, but if it's as rewarding and peaceful as the last 3 weeks have been, I'm looking forward to it

Thanks for listening
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The road might not always be the easiest, but if it's as rewarding and peaceful as the last 3 weeks have been, I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks for posting your story- I'm new too. Your words give me hope!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you....I'm sure your wife is more than pleased. Keep it up....And don't pick up the first drink.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Best wishes on your journey. You'll come in contact with some great people here.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your courage to come clean with your issue is inspiring to me. I think you should set an example for everyone who has a similar story to tell.
God Bless
Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

I should also note that it's hard to sum up 10 years of drinking problems with a few paragraphs (there is A LOT more) but I tried to give a good overview of where I'm coming from