Notices

I can't stop crying

Old 05-08-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't stop crying

Hi, I'm new, I just registered today. I decided to quit drinking the day before Valentine's Day. I managed to not drink for a couple of weeks and then started again, telling myself that I was in control, alcohol didn't control me. That was a lie. I realized I completely lost control on Sunday night when my husband basically stayed up monitoring me, trying to decide if he should call the hospital or not b/c he thought I might have achohol poisoining. Naturally I don't remember it, I don't rememeber much past 9 o'clock or so. I just knew when I woke up yesterday that things were different, that I'm tired of trying to live a lie.
I have 4 children, an amazing husband, a great job and a great life... I'm not sure how many of my family and/or friends know about my drinking problem. A couple of friends do because I reached out to them before. Those are the people I'm going to seek out today. I don't know what my next step is, only to keep busy today & tonight and talk to my friends/husband and try to be strong.
I get very overwhelmed and start crying when I think about the future and all of the challenges I have to face.
AI guess I'm just looking for some words of encouragement & hope. Thank you!!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Smile

Awesome that you're owning the responsibilities of both drinking and not drinking. Your present attitude will serve you well many times over as you work through the process of changing your lifestyle.

Of course many challenges await you, and yet, you'll also gain new understandings, new strengths, new wants and desires, new accomplishments of which you'll be totally proud to have experienced as you find your way through it all.

You'll soon have more SR folks posting and offering their encouragement as well.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Chasing...

I think it is ok to cry. I am on day 5 and have done so myself a few times. I have realized in the past few days that I haven't felt this good mentally in weeks. Knowing that you are trying to change and make yourself better will help get you through. Remember that you are human, and have feelings and emotions. Lean on your dear husband. Good luck dear....we are here for you.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have many things going for you in life. You can quit alcohol and live to enjoy those blessings. Read all you can here on SR, there are amazing people and stories you can draw inspiration from. I'm early in my sobriety but have found this site invaluable for the past 23 days. Good luck to you!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Crying is good. You can do this.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by chasingcourage View Post
I guess I'm just looking for some words of encouragement & hope.
Finding the courage to face the challenges of quitting is half the battle. It will be worth it for the family, but most of all, worth it for you.

I'm sober 20 months. Blessed to be free of the shackles of drinking.

Welcome.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 It is possible to stop drinking and live a full and happy life - I am. And no matter what my problems are, at least I'm not making any new ones.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone... I know this is the right path for me. A life of recovery just can't be any harder than living with the shame and guilt of drinking. I am so grateful that I am here before I hurt myself or anyone else and more than I already have. Thank you for your words of encouragement- it definitely helps!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hi chasing. Try to not look too far into the future. Instead, concentrate on the minute by minute, especially for the next several days. The more we look into the future, the more this lonf term sobriety thing seems like too daunting a task. Just worry about the next minute and string those minutes together for now. The burden will seem less great.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chasingcourage View Post
A life of recovery just can't be any harder than living with the shame and guilt of drinking.
I can tell you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that your statement is entirely true!

Welcome to SR -
Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I get very overwhelmed and start crying when I think about the future and all of the challenges I have to face.

You don't need to worry about the future, it's not here yet.

Your only concern is today, which in my neck of the woods, is Tuesday. So today, just get through Tuesday without drinking. It might be hard (normal) and you might find yourself full of crazy emotions (normal) but you can do it.

Tomorrow, when you get up, worry about Wednesday. After trying to get sober on my own for a long time I finally gave up and tried AA. That (and this website) has made the difference. AA has a lot of trite little sayings, one of them is "one day at a time." Well duh, we all know that. But there is a difference between intellectually knowing that, and practicing that in your daily life. That's one of the things I learned.

One of the benefits of AA for me was the fellowship, I realized that I'm not the only person who struggles with alcohol, what a relief. And I found out that most of the people in AA are incredibly normal, as long as they don't drink. Again, what a relief, I thought alcoholics were supposed to drink from bottles in a brown paper sack and live under a highway overpass.

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcohol up sets the emotions and can cause a lot of crying but thats OK it can be a release for the pressure your going through have you though of going to a detox this will help you with the troubles that your having. God bless
Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome and welcome to living again. your decision to stop drinking will just add to the positives in your life.

sounds like Sunday could have been a true medical disaster. your husband was concerned enough to babysit you to be sure you didn't die. I would suggest that you take this to your doctor and ask for help, along with some starting point bloodwork...both medical and FTF support in whatever you think will help you stay sober.

there are a lot of different options to help you stay stopped, it's both mental and physical for me.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
LDT

Hi Chasing!

You could be me 16 months ago. ....great husband, job I love, 4 kids that I adore and that actually return the sentiment ( even after what I put them through ), respected amongst my peers, few knew about my problem. I was the poster child for an ultra-"functioning alcoholic" ( which I have since come to believe there is no such thing)....until I wasn't any longer and the darkness started to take over..... When I decided to get sober it was heart wrenching on about a million levels. ( I cried a lot!! ) But you are right.....it isn't any harder than what I was doing to myself while I was drinking. So take a deep breath and just jump in. You will have tons of support here. Find your smile again.....it's waiting for you.