SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Reboot Redux (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/256233-reboot-redux.html)

Fdm 05-08-2012 04:59 AM

Reboot Redux

Here I am again.

I did well, and then began to drink a beer or 2 in the restaurants and at home after work each day. My new addiction was Chocolate Stout.

Just like every time I drink at home, once I open 1, the game is on. It's like I feel as if it's a release, and 1 becomes 4 pretty damn quick.

Alcohol consumes me when I let it. I admit it. I love beer but it doesn't love me back. I just got complacent again.

So, I am pouring the last $10 4-pack out as soon as I finish this post.

instant 05-08-2012 05:02 AM

welcome back. Do you get physical cravings once you start to drink?

SOBERINNEPA 05-08-2012 05:04 AM

The easiest way is to not pick up the first one.

Cheaper, too.

Fdm 05-08-2012 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by instant (Post 3393956)
welcome back. Do you get physical cravings once you start to drink?

I suppose so. Other than coffee and water, it's all I drink. I have fruit smoothies in the morning and a turkey wrap with almonds in lieu of chips every day. At night, I try I avoid any carbs and all fried foods. I dont have cheats, except for the beer. It's my one vice.

Ghostlight 05-08-2012 05:39 AM

You did the right thing by pouring it out. But, I've poured more booze down the sink than most normal people drink in a year.
It takes commitment to stop drinking. One drink is not in my vocabulary. Never had just one, and will never understand the people who are able to. It's all in for me.

The methodology of that first drink for the alcoholic is permeated with people who think the have control after they stop for a time, or cut down for awhile.

Have you tried a program of recovery? They have worked for millions.

I totaly understand where you're coming from. I tried to have a few drinks for many years. Never worked. I hope you don't have to go through the emotional and physical anguish I suffered for years trying to turn myself into a normal drinker. It just doesn't work for the alcoholic.

My best to you.

Fdm 05-08-2012 10:23 AM

Thanks ghost. I totally get the idea of trying to be a normal drinker, just like the ones on TV. It never works out that way, huh?

Anna 05-08-2012 10:30 AM

You did the right thing. And, no, for us alcoholics, it`s not like on TV.

Ghostlight 05-08-2012 01:27 PM

No, it never worked out for me that way, anyway. Sounds like you're in the same boat.
Don't forget, alcoholism is a progressive, chronic and relapsing disease.

All those binges turned me into, eventualy, an almost daily drinker. Things got worse. Much worse.

What has worked for me, is to think that first drink through to the end and the ramifications it'll bring.

Many of us have quit. You can, too.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dee74 05-08-2012 01:37 PM

welcome back fdm :)
any ideas on what now?

D