Notices

Psych appointment today

Old 05-08-2012, 03:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Psych appointment today

My appointment is at 8am this morning. I am a bit nervous. The office girl told me that we would spend at least two hours doing an assessment on me to figure out what kind of therapy I need and a plan for my meetings. That seems like an awful long time. I have never been to a psych doctor. Don't know what to expect. I have always thought I was strong enough to handle my emotional issues on my own. I probably won't see the doctor today but I am nervous non the less. Can any one give me their first time experience?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I vaugely remember filling out pages of questions about myself and use of alcohol/others.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just pray for calmness and honesty soberred....You'll be fine. Let us know how it goes....I wouldn't be surprised if you are relieved after it's done.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure it will be ok soberred - it sounds like it's probably just standard tests that I've done and I assume everyone has to do.

Mine were mostly just multiple choice things and scales from 1 to 10...stuff like that

D
Old 05-08-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I woke up happy and hopeful this morning. This is a good thing for me for sure. I am off. Will update on my appointment. Thank you guys for your responses.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Good luck! I've taken those assessments and have found them to be great fodder for considering your life, which is a good habit to develop.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I made it through. There was an incident there that almost made me leave. A woman was screaming at the top of her lungs to be seen and a young man that was way off the deep end that was baker acted and taken away to a mental facility right there in front of everyone. I told the woman doing the assessment that had my desire to get well not been so strong, I would have walked right out of the door. She asked me questions about my childhood. Asked me about my life now. Tears were streaming. I never spoke of these things with my closest friends let alone a perfect stranger. This was just a questionnaire to determine a basic diagnosis and set me up with whom ever I needed to see. She diagnosed depressive disorder, PTSD, and alcohol dependance. Will see a counselor for the mental health and substance abuse and an ARNP for a total psych eval and to determine what if any medication I may need. I am emotionally drained. Think I will take a nap now.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Congrats on taking that step soberred. I spent 5 days in lockdown in a psych ward while detoxing and saw some nutty stuff. It's hard but it's worth it to get the ball rolling.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for sticking with it and getting the assessment done.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Soberred, I got the same diagnoses. more or less. That was a little over a year ago. Once I took the alcohol out of the picture, things improved very quickly and very dramatically. I am sober now for almost 9 months, feeling very well and getting even better, if that's even possible.

I hope that things go as well for you.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if the initial assessment is different here in the UK compared to where you are from but I remember feeling so ashamed when completing the forms as it made me realise that my life was in a massive mess.

However I am glad that the assistance was there as the time I spent with the shrink really helped me move forward with my life.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by england View Post
I'm not sure if the initial assessment is different here in the UK compared to where you are from but I remember feeling so ashamed when completing the forms as it made me realise that my life was in a massive mess.

However I am glad that the assistance was there as the time I spent with the shrink really helped me move forward with my life.
The only shame I felt was crying in front of a stranger and waiting this long to get help.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Be proud of yourself for seeking help and there`s no shame in when you did it.

One of my favourite quotes: “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” ― Maya Angelou
Old 05-08-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You did great soberred...I have a guy in my homegroup that tells a story how he cried like a baby his first AA meeting...Some older lady came up to him after the meeting and said...."It's OK to cry...You won't have to pee as much."
Old 05-08-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Congrats for your strength soberred. You've taken a powerful new step in your life that I believe will catapult you to places beyond your imagination. Good places. Peace.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
You did great soberred...I have a guy in my homegroup that tells a story how he cried like a baby his first AA meeting...Some older lady came up to him after the meeting and said...."It's OK to cry...You won't have to pee as much."

I love that. Funny.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by soberred View Post
The only shame I felt was crying in front of a stranger and waiting this long to get help.
I remember trembling and sobbing with relief when I had been assessed with mental illness. After a life of drug addiction, confusion, shame and fearfulness about my disturbing behavior, the thought of there was hope for me was overwhelming.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The real shame would have been to do nothing about it.

So glad for you....
Old 05-08-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Soberred, I've been through the assessment, as well. I'm glad that you are getting the help you need. I saw a LCSW/addictions counselor for a year and continue to see an addictionist/psychiatrist every 3 mos. I found the therapy to be a terrific help and still see that counselor every now and then to just talk things out when things get heavy. I can't say enough good things about it. I wish you the best!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post

One of my favourite quotes: “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” ― Maya Angelou

Love that!