Notices

If Only....

Old 05-07-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If Only....

Reading a few posts today gave me two fairly mean and politically incorrect ideas.

1. If anybody has seen the Shawshank Redemption movie or read the book, there is a scene early on when Andy Dufrain gets to prison and all the existing inmates bet on who will break first the first night. I know it is totally mean and I was a newbie, but we all know when someone first posts one of those "I am not a drunk, only curious" or "anybody try moderation" threads that they are going to fall further or will come around to the insane perspectives they had 30 days later. Can we start our own pool? Ok poor taste, but everytime I see one I think "poor Dee, he is going to have to bring another one through slowly"

2. I know this is a non-drinking site...ie we support total abstinence. But I think we should encourage anybody who makes it here drunk to post as much as possible. I have not read a single drunk post that has made any sense or didn't make the poster look the fool. Inspired by Lost's flashbacks, if there was a drunk tag for the thread, the person could go back and read it sober. The insanity of the post will go a long way in self-help.

PS Lost, I don't think you are insane.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, your words - 'poor taste'. No one of us know who is going to succeed and who might fail. None of us know that. I choose to not judge people. I know for certain that I was lost and confused when I stopped drinking and I imagine many new members feel the same.

We DO encourage anyone who wants to be sober to post here and seek support. Many people are drinking when they begin to post. We do not hold that against them.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know...sorry
Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anna - tell me how to delete the thread and I will. It was a fleeting bad taste analogy the sprung into my dry drunk brain.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks for that post...it takes the heat off my 'am I ready to Moderate' post a few days ago!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

LOL, I'll opt out of the pool. I didn't think you thought I am insane. But I was insane, before I quit drinking. I think I'm slowly getting sanity back. I see things now with much more clarity.

Also, my posts of before weren't when I was drunk. Sadly, I really did believe this stuff.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Those who come here while drinking are in pain. Whether they realize it or not.

I was here drunk, too, but I never posted for a few reasons:
1. I chose only to post on another site while drinking and when someone thanked me for getting them to 9 months while I couldn't get one day, that was a turning point of sorts for me and
2. I was not in the right state of mind and couldn't figure out how to post and
3. I got locked out of an old email addy and couldn't get my password that I couldn't remember back--or my alias! )

When I did get sober and got internet on my phone as I had no internet for several months at the end of my drinking--talk about being isolated!, I remembered this site and rejoined with another name. No memory available, so I chose two simple words sugar and bear. My email has one more word attached. I could remember those (what! paper and pen? Seriously? I didn't think about writing it down!).

We are all in different "stages" of life/recovery/using/drinking. We are all just trying to get along, aren't we??

Have a beautiful day!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I know that I have posted a couple of times when drunk, and been in the chat room. No bueno. I guess am one of your, "Dee is going to have to bring this one along slowly" guys.

Oh and no offense taken in my case, I am very much a non-PC person as the mods here can attest (they've had to remove a few of my posts and rightly so) and have pretty thick skin. Not everyone does though.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah...I dunno what you were thinking with this one ML....

Everyone here is a person, a human being, with their own story, hopes, dreams & people who love them - I try not to forget that, and I know you get that too.

I'd hate to think that anyone new reading this would be put off.

About me 'bringing people through'? - not my job - I just share my experience and give my support just like everyone else here does.

People bring themselves through.

D