SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sick & tired of being sick & tired! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/256165-sick-tired-being-sick-tired.html)

Sylver36 05-07-2012 08:18 AM

Sick & tired of being sick & tired!

I joined this website yesterday after waking up being disgusted with myself after a basically 2 day drinking binge. Where do I start? I'm 36 years old, I am a single parent of five kids. I really don't have many friends, not good ones anyway. Most of my family lives out of state. Both my parents are dead. I'm unemployed and I have no help. I have been drinking since I was 13. I wanna be a better person for my kids but more for me right now. The pain I feel is overwhelming & lately most days it consumes me. Anybody who reads this please respond. This is the first step I've taken to reach out & seek some sort of help. Im working on day 2 & I want there to be a day 3,4,5,and so on!!!

Anna 05-07-2012 08:32 AM

Hi Sylver,

I'm glad you've decided to live a sober life and that you are posting here.

You're right about the pain of alcoholism being all-consuming. It grabs hold of us and slowly destroys everything. But, you can change your life and become a person that you feel good about. :)

gunther84 05-07-2012 08:34 AM

Sylver36, if you truly want things to change, then you have already taken the first step. Nothing will change if you do not change. By not picking up a drink, things will get better. You will feel better both physically and mentally. You will feel better about yourself. Secondly, the money you spend on alcohol can be used for so much more. Its such a waste. You will have more time to be productive and be a better parent for your kids. If you can, try to get to some type of support group...ie a AA meeting. There you will find others like yourself that can give you great advice and support. Remember, you are not alone. Once you reach out you will find many people who will be willing to help you. Good luck and stay connected.

hypochondriac 05-07-2012 10:56 AM

You're in the right place Sylver. You start by doing what you've already done, stop drinking...well done on your 2 days! You will start feeling better from now on provided you don't drink again but it may take a bit of time and some hard work. Have a look around here and you will find some things that can help you on your journey x

Jeni26 05-07-2012 11:02 AM

Welcome. This site has helped me so much and it is the only place I've found where you can be totally honest and never judged.

Well done on your day 2. I have just done one month and I never would have made it this far without SR.
Stopping drinking is the first step. Read the posts and listen to what has helped others stay sober. A commitment to staying stopped is vital.

Good luck and keep posting xx

gordano 05-07-2012 11:07 AM

"Where do I start?"

Right here, right now - I'm glad you made it!

The best thing to do is start browsing these forums. I would suggest reading up on Alcoholics Anonymous and Rational Recovery. Don't let people tell you what to do, think for yourself! Research recovery options and choose the best fit for you. Recovery and sobriety is not a "one size fits all" process. :ghug3

Hollyanne 05-07-2012 11:32 AM

Welcome Sylver!
Good for you!
The minute you do this, it automatically benefits your children.
You have so much to be happy and sober for.

It is a very worthwhile discomfort to go through all the emotions of having no crutch.
You eventually get to the point where you can deal with anything sober and you get 100% of the joy of life.

I would suggest AA. It is universally available and as a busy mother, a break away from the house and meet with other people with the same goals can only be good.
Try to get this in one go.
I think it is harder to keep going back to drink, knowing you have to kick it. I did that! Yuck!
When you admit this crap has you beat, you win!
I also believe if you can do everything at the moment, think how fabulous you will be sober.
The five children will be happier, safer and financially better off when you get well.
Welcome again.
You are so not alone.
:ring

Sylver36 05-07-2012 11:45 AM

Thank you all for the words of encouragement & support. I'm halfway thru day 2 & already my mind is clearer. I've located some meetings in my area & I'm gonna try & make one tonight.

2granddaughters 05-07-2012 12:08 PM

The fellowship of AA works for me.

All the best.

Bob R

Dee74 05-07-2012 02:29 PM

welcome sylver :)
you'll find a lot of advice and support here :)

D

Purplecatlover 05-07-2012 03:24 PM

Sylver, glad you are here. SR helped me stay sober through the first month. It was not easy but it was so worth it. I am a much better mother now. I have more patience & energy.
Drinking made me very depressed & anxious. I thought it was ME. Until I quit drinking & those feelings lifted. I still have up & down days but all people do.
Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Fight with all your might to not pick up that first drink.
After a week or so, your mind will clear up, emotions should balance out.
I had to decide I would do whatever it takes to stay sober.
Best wishes. Keep us posted of your progress. You can overcome this!

DisplacedGRITS 05-07-2012 04:00 PM

Welcome, Sylver. I've found SR and AA to be my saving graces. I reached a physical, mental and spiritual bottom one night and decided "what the heck? AA isn't going to kill me but the bottle sure will." Go there with a humble heart and an open mind and ears. More likely than not, you'll find a fellowship of people unlike anything you've ever experienced before. Same thing with SR. The storeies, the advice, the highs, the lows...i find everything to be an inspiration around here. I hope you find the same. Welcome!

Hevyn 05-07-2012 04:05 PM

Hi Sylver! It's great you found us and are now part of the family. You're no longer alone with this. That meant everything to me.

I drank into my 50's. By the time I finally quit I had just about destroyed my life & all my relationships. It was no longer fun in the end, just misery and heartache. You'll be able to avoid so much of the pain many of us went through. Proud of you for seeing what you need to do!

Sylver36 05-07-2012 04:36 PM

Thanks again everyone. It feels so good to know I'm not alone.

Hollyanne 05-07-2012 04:37 PM

2 days is great by the way.
As they say, "You have broken the back of it!"
Don't drink, and gather up those sober days.:ghug3

debsam 05-07-2012 05:36 PM

No, you are not alone Sylver, my friend :)

Stay close to us here on SR.

You'll need additional support, I know I did. I hope you'll make it to an AA meeting.

Some face to face support combined with SR would be a great way to get your life back. You derserve it...and so do the kids :).

Big hugs for you.

DjMute1029 05-07-2012 05:55 PM

same here

Frankgug 05-08-2012 04:45 AM

at the meeting tell them what U feel and U will get help,somone will reach out to U.
FrankG

instant 05-08-2012 05:19 AM

well done on your efforts- the results are worth it and long as you hang in there

Sylver36 05-08-2012 02:19 PM

Day 3! Appetite comin back with a vengeance, got a few job leads! Things are looking up already!