Notices

Addicted to Painkillers and need some reassurance.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addicted to Painkillers and need some reassurance.

Hi my name is Ryan. I started using painkillers heavily a month and a half ago. Nobody but a 2 close friend's know I am addicted to them. I am not going to NA or anything like that because I don't want this to get out. I am not embarressed by it. I own a small company and obviously this would be bad for business. I need some friends that have been thru this, that I can talk too thru this. I will GREATLY appreciate it and will make it up to them somehow. I didn't mean to get addicted. I have took them for fun randomly for the last year. Months in between uses sometime.Or a weekend here or there. I started tho using them daily for the last month and half as I said earlier. My peak has been the last 3 weeks have been up to about 5 perc 5's or so a day. So around 25mg a day. I tried quitting last week just because I was sick of taking them. Then boom I started to withdraw. I was completely surprised that my body became addicted to it that fast. Is that normal? Now I am afraid to withdraw again because I have to be social person for work and I feel terrible. Also my heart starts beating irregular. Not fast or slow. But missing beats and so forth. I have had an irregular heartbeat for the last 4 years and I have suffered from anxiety since then. Comes and goes tho. But seems it happens alot when withdrawing. Is an irregular heartbeat normal for withdraws? Also how bad and long do you think this will last considering the amount and length I was using. Also any tricks to make this easier?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ryan - welcome

I think each of us struggles with not wanting to go public - but if we dont get help, chances are our addiction will eventually out us anyway.

I definitely think our health is the most important resource we have and nothing should stop us from looking for help there.

I have no experience with the drugs you're dealing with but I really think the best idea is to see a medical professional if you're concerned or you have questions, and I think anyone with an irregular heartbeat really needs to get that checked out.

we also have a substance abuse forum you may be interested in
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse

D
Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Ryan!!

I think a lot of people have been in the same place you are, where they start off using medication appropriately and then develop an addiction. Have you talked to the doc who prescribes them to you? My experience is with alcohol, but hopefully some others will post, or you can check out the section for substance abuse:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/

Glad you found us - there's a lot of support here!