Notices

Hypnosis and alcholism

Old 05-06-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypnosis and alcholism

Has anyone on here tried hypnosis to stop drinking? If so what were the results. Obviously results would differ depending on the invidual, but it is something I am considering going for.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I've never heard of it working for anyone, or anyone even using it, but that doesn't mean it hasn't worked for someone, somewhere.

Are you struggling with your current recovery plan? Do you have a recovery plan?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I saw a guy for hypnosis. He stopped me smoking. I went back the next year for advice on cutting down drinking and for hypnosis to do so. I knew from his bio that he'd been a drug addict and an an alcoholic and had been sober for years.

Told him my history and he didn't advise me to cut down, he said, "you're one of us, what did you expect me to say?" He said it all with a smile, advised me to get to AA as I wouldn't do it alone, gave me some hypnosis, and charged me a cheap rate and told me not to go to a big party that weekend I'd planned. He also said he could introduce me to a female friend for advice (I think he meant sponsor) if I needed it. And gave me a book on recovery.

After a couple of slips, it took me a few weeks to realise he may be right, and that I needed a support system in place. The hypnosis did help as one phrase did stick in my head (let my weakness become my strength... by this he meant once I realised I had an issue with alcohol I could turn it to my advantage and re-build my life). But I needed more.

If you try hypnosis I'd advise making sure lots of other things in place (if not doing so)... some kind of support group (if not AA) or anything else that may help (I don't know much about AVRT or SMART but whatever works I'd go for it, I also find being on online support groups a lot helped me, there is another one I'm constantly on).

Hypnosis did help me, but it was mainly due to the kick-start it gave me, and it was also his advice that was useful. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I've never heard of it working for anyone, or anyone even using it, but that doesn't mean it hasn't worked for someone, somewhere.

Are you struggling with your current recovery plan? Do you have a recovery plan?
Thanks for replying. Currently the recovery program I'm using is AVRT. However I relapsed yesterday. I am now considering going for AA as I like the idea of group support. I like the idea of meeting people in a similar situation and possibly making friends that could potentially take place of my current drinking friends (if that make sense). I am starting to learn that a key to recovery is to replace the old with new and if you find something that is stronger than the bond with your drinking buddies that is key.

What program are you working?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by regeneration View Post
I saw a guy for hypnosis. He stopped me smoking. I went back the next year for advice on cutting down drinking and for hypnosis to do so. I knew from his bio that he'd been a drug addict and an an alcoholic and had been sober for years.

Told him my history and he didn't advise me to cut down, he said, "you're one of us, what did you expect me to say?" He said it all with a smile, advised me to get to AA as I wouldn't do it alone, gave me some hypnosis, and charged me a cheap rate and told me not to go to a big party that weekend I'd planned. He also said he could introduce me to a female friend for advice (I think he meant sponsor) if I needed it. And gave me a book on recovery.

After a couple of slips, it took me a few weeks to realise he may be right, and that I needed a support system in place. The hypnosis did help as one phrase did stick in my head (let my weakness become my strength... by this he meant once I realised I had an issue with alcohol I could turn it to my advantage and re-build my life). But I needed more.

If you try hypnosis I'd advise making sure lots of other things in place (if not doing so)... some kind of support group (if not AA) or anything else that may help (I don't know much about AVRT or SMART but whatever works I'd go for it, I also find being on online support groups a lot helped me, there is another one I'm constantly on).

Hypnosis did help me, but it was mainly due to the kick-start it gave me, and it was also his advice that was useful. Good luck.
Thanks. I guess it isn't going to cure an alcoholic, just nudge them in the right direction. That's right about letting your weakness become your strength, I feel that I have more options than I did before.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by regeneration: I saw a guy for hypnosis. He stopped me smoking.

Did you manage to stay off smoking or was it only temporary, and how much stress was associated with it?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zanzibar View Post
Did you manage to stay off smoking or was it only temporary, and how much stress was associated with it?
Yes, I did manage. I'd stopped smoking several year's before for 2 years but had ignored advice to not have the "odd one" and had got back into it.

When I tried to stop again I just couldn't as I'd associated it in my mind as something I had to have as a crutch.

Hypnosis worked for me with this guy.. he gave me some breathing techniques and told me to drink fruit juice as said blood sugar would be up and down initially.. all helped. I'd definitely advise hypnosis for stopping smoking (if you can get a recommendation even better, he had refined down to a fine art how to get people stopped). If you're in London area UK happy to send you his details.

Stress wasn't that bad as been there before. First time I stopped smoking years ago I felt v. weird as I'd smoked since age of 11 for 20 years. It meant re-adjusting my life a fair bit as I used smoking to manage feelings (then replaced it with booze even more). For me, smoking and drinking had big parallels (I used them both to manage feelings such as dealing with stress, boredom, as barriers against the world). But stopping smoking was easier than stopping drinking. If anyone can stop drinking I think they can eventually stop cigarettes.