Notices

new here, would like some advise re benzo and booze

Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here, would like some advise re benzo and booze

Hi to all. Nice to meet you all. I am new here...this is my first posting. I have been drinking for well about 30 years. Five years ago I was prescribed xanax for panic disorder. Well...that was the beginning of the end for me. I continued drinking while taking more and more xanax...my panic got much worse, I became agoraphobic. I finally gave up the xanax in January of this year but am still drinking every day. I thought I would get better when I stopped the xanax but it does not seem to be happening. My xanax withdrawal symptoms seem to come back after a few drinks...my teeth hurt, my muscles get stiff. Now I am thinking I have to give up drinking too and I really don't want to. Can anybody relate to this story or give me any advice. I would really appreciate it. Will the anxiety go away if I give up drinking? Is there any hope at all? I am so afraid of going through another withdrawal experience as the xanax withdrawal was an absolute nightmare. Thank you all!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome...I'd recommend seeing a doctor and giving them both up....Seriously.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I got hooked on pills. I was able to quit them, but the problems in my life got worse. I looked to alcohol as a way to manage those problems. Then my life became unmanageable.

One thing I had to get my head around was that I had to quit drinking too. Something I didn't want to do either.

That was over three and a half years ago. Things are manageable now and I am happy.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome scoutalet!

Anxiety is definitely tied in with drinking. It's a little ironic because so many of us use it to relieve anxiety, but the rebound effect after the alcohol leaves our system creates even more anxiety. A vicious cycle......
Although alcohol is known to lower anxiety at low doses, heavy alcohol consumption is believed to induce prominent anxiety symptoms. Alcohol induced anxiety symptoms usually include generalized anxiety symptoms, panic attacks, and phobias.
I noticed a huge difference in my anxiety level when I stopped drinking. I'm so much calmer now and wake up feeling positive about things instead of dreading the day.

If you're drinking more than one or two drinks every day, you're probably physically dependent on it. Over time the symptoms just get worse, too. I know it's scary to think about quitting (I didn't want to give it up either), but lots of us have and found that life is SO much better without it.

Glad you're here!!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I have also been diagnosed with anxiety and depression which have both got considerably better since I quit drinking.

I'm now convinced that for me they were the result of heavy drinking but at the time I thought I just got drunk to help me cope!

Go and talk things over with your doctor, and be honest.

There is such good support and friendship on this site, and we will all help all we can x
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you art and jenni...thats the kind of advise I was looking for. I never had bad anxiety when I was just drinking though...it was the combo of drinking and xanax that absolutely shot my nervous system...hoping I can get some other people's take on this...
Old 05-06-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank to medicate my anxiety but only made it worse. Now that I'm sober it's bearable most of the time and at least I'm not creating more anxiety by drinking.

To be safe with going thru alcohol w/d I'd see a doctor for medical help. And yes, life does get better sober!

Welcome to SR! :ghug3