Notices

Do i need to be here...

Old 05-06-2012, 03:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beerbottles View Post
Yeah that's true.. Im only shy because I care so damn much about what everyone thinks of me and do not have the balls to rock up to a function without drinks in my system as my armor
Down a short road, you might find it much easier to attend functions sober. It might even be more pleasurable. Someone posted something that made me laugh and nod the other day. Something like, "Walking through life drunk is like walking around with your zipper down. Everyone sees it but you."

I would prefer for people to see me sober. My guess is I wasn't foolin' anyone with liquid courage. :-)
Old 05-06-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So true, deep down I think I knew that with the shifty eyes, teeth brushing dodgy behavior and constantly asking hubby the next day if he loved me..

If there a thread on here where you check in or just keep posting here when needed?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beerbottles View Post
If there a thread on here where you check in or just keep posting here when needed?
You can start a new one...Post here...Post in someone elses...We're family here. All in the same boat...Just trying to live normal lives. Welcome to the family.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 As to your question about doing it without AA - I'm sober over two years now with the help of my weekly counseling visits and daily visits to this site. I have no desire to drink anymore at all.

Wishing you the best on your sober journey.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

welcome

I would rather see you here by mistake than back drinking and dying on purpose
stick with us,it can`t hurt
Mike had some excellent replies
Old 05-06-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

God Bless you for telling on yourself!

"Every time I do it which is only about once a month these days when my daughter is with grandparents, I feel so guilty the next day.. In fact I can't even have a sip of alcohol without feeling guilty...I dont do anything sill, i haven't caused relationship issues, harm to myself or my child - the only issue is i hide how much im drinking and feel terribly guilty the next day" --- no-one can classify you as an alcoholic because you have to do that yourself, but there are different bottoms, some lose everything (family, job, friends, etc...) before asking for help, some can recognize a problem early. Not everybody has to lose everything some have "those" feelings that something is wrong and they act on that and get help. Alcoholism is a disease that needs to be addressed or it will keep growing until it consumes you and your family! You can go to an open meeting and see how you feel about it- you don't necessary have to tell anything to your family right away until you get a better understanding of this yourself! 12 step programs are anonymous for a reason.
Yes there a different ways to get sober but I have found A.A. was right for me, it is normal to have those feelings but don't let them rule you or control you, but keep reaching for help and act on it. The fellowship is great and they won't judge you when you get ther they will welcome you with open arms! Keep coming back and hope you find your way! Gid Bless!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I think if you stick around here you will eventually figure out the answers to your questions.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome, BeerBottles, you have found a place full of great folks just like you who will listen, and share their experience, their strength and give you lots of hope.

Here are two things from this ex alcohol addict. Some of us make a big deal trying to answer the question - was I (am I) an alcoholic? I don't think this matters in the least. A better question is, Do I have a problem with alcohol and do I want to fix it? Ok, that's two questions, I know.

The second thing is that there are many ways to long term abstinence and sobriety, no matter where you start on your journey. AA is just one of them, there are others too. The important part is to decide that you want to fix this, you will fix this, and you won't stop until you do, because you are done with these feelings of guilt and shame, sick and tired let me tell ya.

Keep posting here, BeerBottles. We like seeing folks find a full life, one with peace inside, and joy in living without alcohol. Hope you can find yours because you deserve it.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I can relate to your story. I am 36 and a wife and mother. In college I drank hard. Continued with weekend binge drinking until about age 22. I barely drank for the next 5 years or so bc I had 2 children and worked Friday and Saturday nights. When I did drink though (even if it was only once every six months) I got drunk. As my kids got older (now 10 and 13) and I stopped working weekends I was drinking 1-2 times a week and in the past 2 or 3 years getting wasted every weekend and hating my life. I also added in pain pills this past year. Anyway, even though I wasn't drinking every day my life had become unmanagable due to my drinking. I had a very scary drinking experience a week ago and am now back in AA.

My thoughts are with you, and welcome. This place is wonderful.

Ann
Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Maybe the question is, do you WANT to be here?