Notices

New

Old 05-04-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I don't know where else to turn. I had gastric bypass surgery about 18 months ago, and in the last 6 months, have been drinking heavily. At first I thought it was because my relationship with my boyfriend was not in a good place. We have fixed that and I still want to drink. I have a problem stopping when I should. I will drive to the store when I shouldn't because I think I need just one more beer, one more glass of wine...whatever. I did this last night, and barely remember going to the store. I know I did because my boyfriend yelled at me for taking his truck after I had been drinking. I don't remember going to bed last night. I don't remember even taking out my contacts. 75% of the time that I drink I don't remember stuff the next day. I have no one to turn to regarding this. I lost my mom about three years ago and she was my rock. I am falling apart and I hope this place can help me.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

Hi, I just joined yesterday and already I feel a sense of community here that's understanding and ready to offer advice and support. I am so sorry about your mom, but there is so much hope to find a new way of living here, and in other support groups. I haven't even been sober 2 days yet, but I can tell you that when I drink, I don't remember anything the next day either. I've woken up to bloody fingers, random bowls of food I supposedly made the night before, different clothes on (or none), .... you name it! It's not pretty, no. But it was what it was, and I don't want it anymore. I'm sure you don't either. I wanted to let you know that I am here for you, so please reach out to me anytime! I am still learning how to navigate this website, myself.

With much love,

Abby
Old 05-04-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Aloneinthis,

First off, you are not alone. Your situation is not uncommon either. For me, I have never had gastric bypass but I am a recovering compulsive overeater and a recovering alcoholic. It is very common to exchange one addiction or another. I know for a fact that people who have had GB get a buzz even quicker than someone who has not. Welcome to the forum, keep posting and if you can, go online and look for the big book of alcoholics anonymous. It is a free download. my reading this book shed a lot of light on why I drank and why I overate.

(((HUGS)))

Lily
Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello You are definitely not alone in this. I also just joined today and this is my first day of sobriety. I know the feeling all too well of blacking out and not remembering what you've done the night before. And driving when you shouldn't after you've been drinking.

I too feel like I'm falling apart, but I think that since we've all found this community, we can rebuild our lives with a lot of understanding and support from others that are in and have been in our place.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your not alone.....I could've written most of your post. I have also had gastric bypass. Before surgery, I could drink normally. I had a few really bad drunk nights in college, but I don't know many who didn't. Since surgery however drinking is like russian roulette for me. I can have one glass of wine one night and be completly trashed and the next time I could drink 2 bottles and still feel totally sober. The scary thing is never knowing which way it will be! Our bodies metabolize things so much differently now, especially sugar! I too almost always have partial memory loss or blackouts.

I know for me, in the span of 45 days I gained 35 pounds! I know it's not from food because I can't eat much as you know. For me this is just one more reason to stop drinking!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Look at these newcomers helping eachother out...That is beautiful stuff...Welcome to all of you....Nobody has to this alone.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 With the help of my counselor and this site I gave up drinking for good over two years ago. It's really been worth the effort. My life is so much better now. Glad you found us.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hiya. I'm new too - and I can relate to the blackouts, feelings of hopelessness and lack of control. I have lost entire days & nights due to heavy drinking. The funny thing is that I always wake up with a half/nearly full can of beer next to my bed (or wherever I've decided to sleep) even though I can't remember what has happened. My friends and family have often filled me in on my behaviour and I am usually shocked and horrified at myself. There's great support here from what I've seen. I hope you feel better soon, always a light at the end of the tunnel and all that Feel free to PM me if you want to chat or anything xx
Old 05-04-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and we do understand.

Maybe you have dealt with the issues from your gastric bypass. Food can be an addiction as well, and you will likely have to deal with the stuff in your life that is causing you distress. Stopping drinking will be the first step, but you will still have look inside and see what's hurting you.

We are here to offer support.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome again aloneinthis
you're definitely not alone here

D