Notices

Is this an appropriate forum for me?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this an appropriate forum for me?

I drink too much. I know that. I don't think I am an alcoholic but I know I am abusing it. Is this forum also for people who want to cut back on their drinking, like say only drink Friday or Saturday? Or, is this forum soley for total abstinence?

Thank you.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome, Suzie. This is a recovery forum that helps people seek sobriety. So you might not find a whole lot of support for "controlled" or moderate drinking. But this is a good place to explore your relationship with alcohol. Are you having problems holding your drinking down to just one or two nights a week?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Moderation doesn't generally get a lot of support here. Most of us have tried many times to moderate our drinking without success.

Most people here are sober, or trying to become that way.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

This is a forum for people looking to recover from addiction, people who love people affected by addiction. We aren't going to encourage drinking/drugging here, but it's a good place to read some stories about how many of us have overcome troubles with liquor and drugs. I know there's a moderation program out there somewhere, but I've never had any interest in 2 drinks a day.. I was an all or nothing kinda girl.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suzie24 View Post
I drink too much. I know that. I don't think I am an alcoholic but I know I am abusing it. Is this forum also for people who want to cut back on their drinking, like say only drink Friday or Saturday? Or, is this forum soley for total abstinence?

Thank you.
Hi Suzie, welcome.

This is a forum primarily for sobriety, people who cannot control their addictions and need to stop for one reason or another.

If you can keep your drinking to a couple of nights per week, I'd say that's fine (maybe not recommended by your doctor, but not bad). The warning I'll say, and I'm sure others will agree, is that alcohol is a progressive disease and, without speaking for others, I'd say most of us started as Friday and Saturday drinkers.

That's not there to scare you, just true. May I ask how you feel you are abusing alcohol?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sure....I drink to relieve stress and I drink daily. (so does my husband) I am aware that it is a problem as more recent studies have shown it is not good to drink every day, yet I still do it, usually at least 3 or more beers.

Thanks for your opinion as well as others...I guess I need to do some hard thinking...and if I opt for total sobriety I will know a great place to come for support.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

You're always welcome here.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Suzie

if you decide we have what you want, you're always welcome
best of luck to you

D