Notices

Struggling a bit

Old 05-04-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Struggling a bit

Hi to all I'm new on here. I'm 39 and have been battling with the booze for a while now, but it has only been the last few years I've started to get a bit desperate. I have good periods then go on a binge and ruin it all, making myself really ill in the process.

I just had week sober then messed up AGAIN by going on a 16 beer binge followed by a couple of days trying to get back to normal again. That was three days ago and I haven't had anything yet today. I felt so much better in that week though so will try again I just can't seem to make it stick. I've managed 3 months sober about a year ago, but it seems to get more difficult.

I get help from a local agency, but have just been trying to cut down when maybe I need to abstain (that's a difficult one as they ask me what I want to do and I don't really know what's works best really - one lady seemed to think cutting down was the way to go, but I'm not so sure). Most of my friends don't think I have a problem because most my serious drinking is on my own and I don't think they get it when I tell them. The agency has helped, but I haven't been for a while because of work commitments. I have a strange job as I could be working 7 days on the bounce and then nothing for a couple of weeks. Not working is the danger time.

There is a recovery group where you have to make a commitment for a series of meetings which I've been considering. The thought of group sessions scares me a bit. Anyone any advice on that - maybe I should just go for it? Or is AA the way to go? My family are pretty supportive. Just need to crack this.

Thanks for listening and wish you all the best.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome BB,
I'm pretty new myself so not best placed to give advice, but 1 will be that this is a fantastic fourm where you will find a lot help and support, stick around and read plenty.
It has helped me so much when I wanted to drink but came on here instead.
Good luck
Old 05-04-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome BoozeBad! I'm glad you're trying to figure this out and are taking action. You aren't alone with this - we've all been there & understand how you feel.

I can't give advice on group meetings - I don't attend AA myself - but it's been a Godsend to so many. The other alternative sounds helpful, too.

I was like you with the binges. I had no control once I picked up that first drink. I had to just stop all together, since willpower never worked. It couldn't be one drink - it had to be 10. Congratulations on wanting to sort this all out and have a new life. You can do it!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome BoozeBad

Don't get me started on that UK 'cutting down' thing! It's one of my pet hates! I would suggest abstaining completely and permanently and getting every bit of help you can possibly find...AA, SMART, AVRT...chuck it all in and work your hardest to stay sober. You don't deserve to have alcohol ruin your life and you especially don't deserve any half arsed 'recovery' methods such as cutting down!

I'm glad your family are supportive and don't listen to anyone who says you don't have a problem. Like you I did most of my drinking in private and was really desperate for the last few years.

I'm really glad you're here x
Old 05-04-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome BoozeBad...I can't really recommend cutting down...I was cutting down for about 15 years...I drank daily for 35.....But I can recommend AA....It saved my life. If you can be openminded to it...Not afraid to get honest with yourself...It will work....It helps if you are willing to make it work. It's an action program and it will change your life if you want it.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, really appreciate the replies - I was feeling a bit defeated earlier. Have to try again I guess. All the best!
Old 05-04-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do it....Just don't drink for today.