Notices

Sober Social Outings!!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Social Outings!!

Had my first test last night, a friend suggested a girls night out..and my first thought??!! You guessed it..booze!! I started to think, whats the point if im not gonna drink, then i thought my friend may not feel comfortable drinking if im not, then i imagined not having a glass of wine whilst getting ready and was a bit disappointed!! Then i thought..get a grip..if you cant enjoy an evening out without alcohol..you need to sort your act out girl!! So after a good talking to myself, i went on ASOS, chose a real bad as* dress and pair of shoes and started looking forward to a good chinwag with my friend, i dont need alcohol to have a good night, and at least there will be no hangover...plus i have a chance of coming home without fag burns in my new dress due to smoking after a skinfull and actually managing to remember what i was talking about!!

2 weeks without a drop and never felt healthier :-) plus met some quality peeps on here so its allllll good xxx
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is brilliant, well done!!
I've got a girls night next Saturday and was considering dropping out of it, but reckon I could do it now too!
Keep strong xx
Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paradox, Humor, Change

One of my favorie sober activities is to bowl my brains out on Sunday Mornings. It is not easy once you get sober to figure out what you like to do. I am still in a big learning curve. I have been working on a jigsaw puzzle at home and that bores me to tears, I dont think I will try this activity again. I like to journal, and I like computers, and I like women, and marlboro ciggabutts. Tonight I am drinking lots of black coffee and pointing at the moon. Good luck on your girls nite out, remember its the first drink that gets you drunk not the last one. I could not decieve you about this. If you dont take the first drink seagirl you will never get hungover again. I promise.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Jen, and yeah go, booze has already stripped us of enough without losing our social skills too :-) non alcoholic cocktails all the way ;-) least we can dance without losing our balance and thinking we are MC Hammer haha!! xxx
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks wise soberman :-) your so right, its the first drink that always does it, it slips down a treat, thats what leads us onto the next..and the next..i dont want that in my life no more..ive enjoyed having a clear head and being able to go about my day without the constant burden of booze! So much more to life...i am realising that now...i have some volvic fruit water for tonight..and an alfred hitchcock movie...alcohol had also stripped me of some of my interests over the years...and i want them back!!!! ;-))) xx P.S bowling is so cool...im a mean machine on the lanes!!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you! I've seen my friends a couple of times since I quit, in settings where I normally would have been drinking, and I honestly find I enjoy myself more now. Booze always makes everything a little fuzzy, and almost makes me feel as if I'm disconnected from what's happening... and why would I want that? Being with my friends is fun. I want to be fully present in the moment, and fully able to remember it the next day. Plus, I no longer have to wake up trying to remember whether I said anything stupid.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Totally agree sober, the fuzzy feeling you speak of would hit me pretty much after my first drink (lightweight :-/) and like you say, its difficult to relax then and engage, the beer takes over and the night then is all about the alcohol and not about the evening itself. I have spent ages queuing at bars, to intoxicate myself further..why??? i can not enjoy chatting and dancing...its a no brainer hey!! And yes...no "i can't believe you said that Laura" from my friends the next day or cringing at FB pics im tagged in!!! x
Old 05-04-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

well, I advise caution.
I had to work up to going out again.

I was so beaten down by my alcoholism that I needed to take a break and reconnect with the essential me and what I wanted - once I did that I was good to go...

but putting myself in temptation before I was ready for it, would have been disastrous.

I know we all want to put it all behind us and get on with life...but I think it's wise to think about building strong foundations first.

D
Old 05-04-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Originally Posted by soberbythesea View Post
I want to be fully present in the moment.
well done- great result. Going out gets easier. I have found however that I have less interest in boozefests than I used to. Sobriety is a long adventure
Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks dee, i agree, not a good idea to try to run before you can walk :-) sober..i too feel no interest in actually putting alcohol to my lips..its just the associations that take a while to erase from your mind i suppose...another saturday morning..im up early, no hangover and im off to the beach :-))) thanks for all your encouragement all. xxx
Old 05-05-2012, 02:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done, guys. I wish I could be so upbeat about going out, but I'm afraid I'm a classic 'Fun Bob' drinker: absolute life and soul when drunk, first on the dancefloor, last off; total mumbling wallflower when sober.

One of the things that annoys me about the hole I've got myself into is that I only ever really needed three pints; that was the amount I needed to get on a dancefloor without feeling self-conscious, or hold non-awkward conversations with strangers or take a shot at pool without fear of ridicule if it all went wrong. Three pints, that's all. No hangovers, blackouts, nothing, just good times.

If I'd just made a bit more effort to stop there then I wouldn't be in the position I am now.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Mark :-) aww, i have a friend who cant even leave the house for a night out untill shes had about 4 cans..id be ready to call it a night at 4!! So many of us have been a slave to this liquid, its lethal stuff! x