Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I would just like to introduce myself. I am 43 drinking constantly since teens. Have drunk every day, generally 2 pints of 5% lager , 1/2 a bottle of red and 2 large whiskies or G& ts, weekends would me more. Have never had inclination to drink before 5pm.I have never lost time at work or even got drunk, tend to just fall asleep atabout 9pm.Until recently haven't thought it has had an effect on my life, ie family , work, finances, but when I look back it has. From a health point of view I have ended up overweight and have had raised liver function values for 10 years. I have calculated my units to be circa 120 per week. I feel as though I have just woken up and am on day 6 of no alcohol. Thanks for a great site.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Dexter. Your experience sounds quite similar to my own. I wouldn't drink before 5pm, didn't get drunk and fell asleep normally but I knew I had a problem because my life revolved around alcohol and it had become part of me.
you've done well to stop.
Did you have withdrawal symptoms at all during the time you've stopped?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Frenzy, thanks for the reply.the only withdrawal I have had is being very irritable and strangely pins and needles in my left hand and lower arm. As you my life has revolved around alcohol. I haven't enjoyed the company of the People I have been drinking with, getting irritated with their "slobber". They ate not friends , just people who happen to be in the pub generally at the same time as me , early doors. I have convinced myself that I am giving nothing up and have all to gain. My biggest test is when I go out for a meal with friends, I don't want a discussion about alcohol, almost easier to drink and then try again to give up the next day but I know this is not possible.
Have you given up
Old 05-04-2012, 12:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Tony
Old 05-04-2012, 01:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You could just say that you just don't feel like a drink tonight, you might be surprised at how little people worry about what other people are doing.
I have to admit that in the 3 weeks that I've been stopped I've had 1 drink on 3 separate occasions, i'm not pleased about it but I'm not going to give myself a hard time about it. I just have to say to myself each day, right today I won't drink and I feel more determined now than I did last week.
I'm going to an AA meeting tonight, I find it helps, theyre a good bunch of people and i feel comfortable with them. Is that something you've considered?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hope you get right! I'm far from it sad to say.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, you and I have some similar patterns in that I drank daily but it did not overtly show in my work, etc. Hadnt lost my house, my friends and family so no quitting reasons there etc. But I had to stop, and doing so has provided many unexpected benefits... And I am in my 40s also.

Anyway I stopped drinking completely 12+ weeks ago now. It was far harder the first few weeks when I was feeling like I was learning to walk again. Each new thing you do in this new awake state is startling.

I do not entertain the notion of moderation because it is easier to just not drink at all then to concern myself with monitoring myself. Moderation still sounds like my life would be centered around alcohol. I also dont believe I could monitor at home, if I had alcohol in the house, etc.

One thing i've learned here, is people you get to know, relapse, and everytime it happens, I am surprised, and a little frightened... but also struck by how badly they immediately feel about it and thenselves. And that is if you can get them to come back at all.

So for these reasons I suggest you make a longterm goal of not drinking at all and work out how you will do that each day as it comes. Because it is depressing and helpless watching people relapse and therefore i can only think it is 100 X moreso for the one relapsing. I don't want to feel like that. I don't want anyone to feel like that...
Old 05-04-2012, 01:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Dexter, I found it better not to drink and. Also truthfully tell them your not drinking stick by it , but don't say for how long just say a break.
Well done good luck with the weekend.
John
Old 05-04-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
I have to admit that in the 3 weeks that I've been stopped I've had 1 drink on 3 separate occasions, i'm not pleased about it but I'm not going to give myself a hard time about it. I just have to say to myself each day, right today I won't drink and I feel more determined now than I did last week.
I'm going to an AA meeting tonight, I find it helps, theyre a good bunch of people and i feel comfortable with them.
Maybe you can get some phone numbers at that meeting tonight. It helped me a lot early on...If the thought of having a drink came up....One phone call to another sober alcoholic put a quick stop to that.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Dexter

D