Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to stop drinking.. I have my whole life ahead of me and if I keep going down this path I will not accomplish all that I want and need, I won't fall in love, have a family, do well in school.. I'm only 23. I need someone to talk to.. nobody I'm friends with really understands.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're in a good place...What are you willing to do to stop for good?...Have you tried anything yet?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
You're in a good place...What are you willing to do to stop for good?...Have you tried anything yet?
I haven't really tried anything necessarily.. I am seeing a psychologist on Monday. I want to believe I am strong enough to do it without any formal programs, etc. but I know I need all the support I can get! It is just so hard being 23 when all of your friends go out and party.. to separate yourself from something you've known and done for so long. I feel like I don't even know the real me!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

We do understand how hard this is.

And, yes it usually means making changes in your life with activities, friends, etc. But, it will be worth it.

Give yourself a chance to get to know the real you.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you. I wish I had the realization drinking wasn't in my best interest, and the courage to quit when I was 23 instead of 40.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bellavita18 View Post
I haven't really tried anything necessarily.. I am seeing a psychologist on Monday. I want to believe I am strong enough to do it without any formal programs, etc. but I know I need all the support I can get! It is just so hard being 23 when all of your friends go out and party.. to separate yourself from something you've known and done for so long. I feel like I don't even know the real me!
You can do that...You'll get a lot of support here...Use it. You might have to keep a little distance from your friends for awhile....I know I did.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Can you talk to your regular doctor about what you are planning to do?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There's lots of good people here you can talk to.

Bella vita. Beautiful life. It certainly can be.

Don't get hung up on it being a matter of strength. If you're an alcoholic, and only you can decide whether you are or not, you'll want to get all the help you can. Most of us couldn't do it alone. I need a LOT of help.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Can you talk to your regular doctor about what you are planning to do?
I don't normally go to my GP ..I know I am suffering from depression and anxiety but I am not sure if that is a result of the drinking and the negative consequences it has produced, or if I drink because of my depression and anxiety. Hopefully the psychologist will be able to help. I am normally against taking prescription pills to relieve depression and anxiety-I have several friends addicted to pain killers/anxiety meds and I used to use them recreationally, I am very lucky I did not become addicted, and I also don't want to rely on medication to help me through the rest of my life. Hopefully just having someone to guide me will help.

I just wish that I could have made the decision to quit before I got myself in so much trouble. Before I got two DUIs, before I ruined relationships with people I truly loved and cared about.. Better late than never I suppose.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SOBERINNEPA View Post
There's lots of good people here you can talk to.

Bella vita. Beautiful life. It certainly can be.

Don't get hung up on it being a matter of strength. If you're an alcoholic, and only you can decide whether you are or not, you'll want to get all the help you can. Most of us couldn't do it alone. I need a LOT of help.
Thank you. I know I am going to need support. I am just a stubborn person and very independent.. I've always hated relying on others and showing any weakness or vulnerability. That could be the reason for my very sarcastic and joking nature.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you. I know I am going to need support. I am just a stubborn person and very independent.. I've always hated relying on others and showing any weakness or vulnerability. That could be the reason for my very sarcastic and joking nature.
DOn't worry about it. I married a Jersey girl.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't normally go to my GP ..I know I am suffering from depression and anxiety but I am not sure if that is a result of the drinking and the negative consequences it has produced, or if I drink because of my depression and anxiety. Hopefully the psychologist will be able to help. I am normally against taking prescription pills to relieve depression and anxiety-I have several friends addicted to pain killers/anxiety meds and I used to use them recreationally, I am very lucky I did not become addicted, and I also don't want to rely on medication to help me through the rest of my life. Hopefully just having someone to guide me will help.

I just wish that I could have made the decision to quit before I got myself in so much trouble. Before I got two DUIs, before I ruined relationships with people I truly loved and cared about.. Better late than never I suppose.
The meds won't help if you are still drinking. I'm speaking from experience.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hey Bella -- there are lots of young sober folks out there if you know where to look. You might have to get rid of a couple friends but there are plenty of people out there.
Good luck!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nifty breakfast cookie?

I was 25 and in college when I got sober. Now I'm 28 and sober in college. Feel free to message me whenever.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Have you tried AA and getting a sponsor? I didn't think i had anything in common with people in AA (i'm young, geeky, from the South, alternative) but when i went a few times i realized that just being a fellow alcoholic was the only thing i needed to have in common with them to feel that kinship.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Have you tried AA and getting a sponsor? I didn't think i had anything in common with people in AA (i'm young, geeky, from the South, alternative) but when i went a few times i realized that just being a fellow alcoholic was the only thing i needed to have in common with them to feel that kinship.
I haven't yet. My friend joined and has been sober for over a year now. I've been considering it but frankly I'm petrified.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
Good for you. I wish I had the realization drinking wasn't in my best interest, and the courage to quit when I was 23 instead of 40.
I am 41 and I wish I could go back to talk to the 23 year old me and tell them all the "fun" they are in for going down this path. You are wise for your years. Take advantage of it and learn from the real life lessons from people on this site. I had friends in my 20's that quit drinking and nobody cared. I think younger people think they will not be accepted if they don't "party". Not true.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

I understand this very well, especially the part about not really knowing yourself. I'm 24, and I've been drinking heavy for 8 years now, and I can tell you I don't really know who I am. I have forgotten how to have sober fun, how to engage in things, and experience awe and wonder like I used to. Hang in there and lean into the support that is here. Today is my first day on this forum, and I am excited and eager to meet new people and begin my recovery. I wish you all the best in yours!

Abby
Old 05-03-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I haven't yet. My friend joined and has been sober for over a year now. I've been considering it but frankly I'm petrified.
I was petrified too...But not as bad as what alcohol was doing to me. That scared me more. Maybe your friend can take you to a meeting...I love them now. As far as talking to your doctor goes....I was thinking more along the lines of being honest with him and see if you need something to safely detox. At least make it more comfortable for you.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR bellavita

You'll get lots of support here. I nearly did something about my drinking when I was your age... don't be afraid to get all the support you can x