Notices

Risk of experiencing DTs

Old 05-02-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Risk of experiencing DTs

Very grateful to have found this site today, as it has kept me sober for nearly twenty-four hours. I thank all the members for their insightful, descriptive, and supportive posts.

After much reading about alcohol withdrawal, I am fearful of getting the DT's. I have a very busy schedule and don't have time to go through detox with medical supervision, nor the currents funds to cover it. I drink about 24-30 beers a day, with five or six during my morning shower in order to erase the mental fog and physical tension. I had originally planned on doing this cold turkey without help until I read how dangerous that is. As unpopular weaning off of alcohol seems to be, has anyone had success coming down from 30 drinks per day to absolutely zero over a short period of time?

I thank all of you in advance for anything you can offer.

Much peace to you
Old 05-02-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Having experienced one seizure and possibly 3the personally, i am telling you that schedule and expense is nothing compared to your health and life. If you really feel that you can't check yourself into a hospital for detox, at least go to your general practitioner. He/she may be able to prescribe you something to help you or at least give you solid advice on how to appropriately taper down.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chapter Two
welcome to SR

Unfortunately none of us are Drs and it's impossible to tell you, one way or the other, what you might be in for - there are simply too many individual variables.

As someone who had a bad detox experience I really recommend you at least see a Dr - many parts of the US now have free or low cost clinics

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

there is always the ER if you feel concerned at any time as well

D
Old 05-02-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is the onset of seizure or DTs something you can feel coming on?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a very busy schedule and don't have time to go through detox with medical supervision, nor the currents funds to cover it.

This is one of those statements where, sometime in the future you might look back and say, "what the hell was I thinking?"

Detox is dangerous. You are drinking 30 beers a day, virtually around the clock. That's a lot. Seek medical advice even if it's only at a "promptcare" type clinic. They can evaluate your symptoms and prescribe some medication to make the physical withdrawal easier.

After you get through the physical withdrawal, what are you going to do so that you don't start drinking again? It's pretty common for someone to quit drinking and a week or two later convince themselves that they can drink moderately if they just "watch it this time."
Old 05-02-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never had a seizure C2...had several mini strokes tho - I had no idea they were coming or what was happening to me at the time.

why not see a Dr and set your mind at rest?

D
Old 05-02-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Not. I experienced my seizure when i was having the same withdrawl symptoms as when i just had severe withdrawls. I don't mean to scare you but detoxing from alcohol is scary and possibly fatal stuff. Make time to see a doctor.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

ChapterTwo, I too am grateful to have found SR. I am now 7 months off crack because I did. I am 1 year 10 months sober after 42 years of drinking. I actually did quit cold turkey, but made a commitment on 7-10-2010 while in a meeting to give AA an honest effort. I recently moved from my home town and work 12 hrs/day, 7 days/week on a new job, and have only been to 1 meeting in 2 months. The 1 year and 8 months I went to several meetings a week and will get back to it ASAP. The last 8 years of my drinking is just about what you described. When I was awake I was drinking. I never had shakes, or seizures but I suffered terribly none the less for the 1st 9 months of sobriety. I am determined to stay sober for the rest of my time. Believe me when I say, If I can do it, you can do it. Lots of help here.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

25 to 30 beers a day is a lot but you don't say how long you been doing this for. Seeing a ER for DT would be your best bet. 30 beers a day would make you over the legal limit 6 to 7 times.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ACT10Npack, I drank heavily (if a heavy drinker is quantified by >8 drinks a day) for about seven years, but it wasn't until I turned thirty last year when I began drinking first thing in the morning. What's the reason for the sad face next to your sober date?

To all: I thank you for your prompt responses in convincing me that I must seek medical advice. Best of luck to each of you in your new lives!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I was a morning drinker for about 4-5 years. When i quit i was drinking through a 1.75 liter bottle of vodka of vodka about every 3 days with a few beers scattered throughout and probably some other drinks (i weighed between 110 and 130 lbs during those times). Quitting cold turkey was horrible on my body and felt like it nearly killed me.

I too am curious about the sad face, ACT.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Glad you are here, but please -- remember that you are never too busy for your health. If you were (hypotheically) faced with the choice between dying or going to detox I'm sure you would find a way to make time for it. Alcohol withdrawal can quite literally be a life or death situation, so please be careful.

Good luck on your continued sobriety!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Through my 30s my average was around 12 to 16 a evening\night (I was 5'8" @ 200) and I had a really hard time getting through the first two weeks, lots of heart palps. and felt like I was loosing consciousness. It was a weird 'stroke' like feeling (best I can describe), also vertigo and dementia, but that was happening before I quick as well.
I believe Actionpack has slipped\relapsed on that sobriety date ... hence the frown.

Good Luck, I hope you seek medical help. I did it cold turkey, but looking back now & hearing from others, I was taking a huge risk. IMO, once you get beyond 90 days the rewards really become visual and are well worth it.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Chapter two tell us what the Dr said. Would be interested to know.
Do you know just how close you are at getting your life back .
Good luck.
John.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChapterTwo View Post
Is the onset of seizure or DTs something you can feel coming on?
Not for me! I have had a seizure at work, in the drugstore, at home and of all places IN COURT (for a DUI!) Broke my nose too!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do hope you do what you need to do to get medical care. Saying you are too busy or don't have the funds to do it, sounds short-sighted. You have money to buy beer, so use some of it to pay for a visit to a dr or ER and begin taking care of yourself.