Notices

Day 16, craving bourbon

Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 16, craving bourbon

Hey everyone, been awhile since my first posts. I went 5 days then said screw it, and drank on my birthday. I said to myself i will only have a couple
pints of beer with my meal, which I did. But when I got home, I drank 2 more 40oz bottles of beer. So much for moderation. Sometimes I am fine with a few drinks and other times I'm off to the races. That was the only day I drank since. Day 16 today and the last few days I've been really craving bourbon. I have a bad weakness for good bourbon. I've been able to fight it but it's definitely been a struggle. I have been walking a couple miles a day for exercise and trying to stay busy. Started playing my guitars more than I used to as well. Anything to take my mind off drinking. I have gone 2 months before so I know it will get easier but the cravings are kicking my azz .I just have to remind myself how bad the hangovers got and how much I hated being hungover and useless.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Dave, good for you for knowing you can get through this. Keeping busy, exercising, hobbies, just as you're doing, is the way to go.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna, I will continue to stay busy and fight the cravings. Is anyone out there any good at arguing with your addictive voice? I guess I just have to learn to stop engaging and just dismiss it, if that's even possible.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Davestwincam View Post
Thank you Anna, I will continue to stay busy and fight the cravings. Is anyone out there any good at arguing with your addictive voice? I guess I just have to learn to stop engaging and just dismiss it, if that's even possible.
Dave,
Since I've accepted the fact that life will be much better without alcohol, the cravings have gone away, everyone has to make their own mistakes or somehow learn that alcohol will always take you back to the place from hell, it never changes, it will always suck. It does sound like you are getting closer to success tho..
Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks OCD, I guess I haven't been sober long enough to give the "voice" a chance to quiet down. For me, it's not the drinking itself that sucks, it's the after effects that always suck.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dave, I know this may sound cheesy, but this too shall pass.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Eat something sweet to replace the "missing" sugar. Ice cream is often incompatible with booze.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My cravings have been helped with an ice cold "glass bottle" of root beer. Sweet, cold and a bottle....well at least for now.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hi Dave,

I used to love whisky, but especially bourbon. I feel your pain, but the good news is that the cravings will pass with time. I still get a twinge for the flavor every now and then here at 1 year, but it's only a passing fancy that's easy to wait out. Read up on urge surfing, that might help you out.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

I ate chocolate.
I accepted that they were just cravings
I kept busy
I tried to disconnect "me" from them

If you don't drink they eventually go away.

I don't get cravings anymore at all- I am free of the BS
Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. Bourban was my DOC also. Nothing got me where I needed to get like bourban did. Now, on the flip side, nothing made me feel worse the next day like bourban did also. I can't tell you how many half gallons I poured out over the years.

It usually happened the same way. I'd wake up after "having a few drinks" - meaning probably 15 units and felt like I was going to die. Speech still slow from drinking, headache, racing heart, whiskey breath still from the night before, anxiety, self loathing, etc..

I'd say "never again" and pour that crap right down the sink. Then a few days would pass and I'd forget all of the bad stuff bourban did to me and start thinking about what it would do for me. It's insanity.

The fact that I would still want something that made me feel that way MANY times proves that I am an alcoholic. No other substance on this earth has made me feel horrible as many times as booze.

Get passed the craving, it's not worth it I promise. 16 days is awesome. Just keep trucking along, you're not missing anything. You quit for a reason!

Best of luck!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gunther84 View Post
Dave, I know this may sound cheesy, but this too shall pass.
Not cheesy at all. It's very wise and true. I think I need to say that more to myself. Thanks for posting...
Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Reggie. Bourbon hangovers are the worst aren't they. I have also dumped a few bottles of bourbon down the sink in the last year and 1/2 or so.
Not always the cheap stuff either. Buying it is expensive enough, dumping it just means we shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Good luck to you also Reggie.