Notices

Just thinking about being 2 years sober today!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

ARTSOUL!!!

You're a SR gem.

Congratulations....and thank you
Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congratulations Artsoul!! Your post was so wonderful and inspirational... loved, loved,loved it!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Artsoul,

Congratulations!!!!! Thank you for all of the help you have been to me - you have been a big inspiration and a great source of wisdom, experience and common sense. I am very, very happy for you. Much love.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Be very proud of yourself!

And, thanks for all the help you give to SR. :ghug3
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

WHAT A GREAT POST!

Thanks Artsoul. You've meant a lot to me over the past few years. Congrats on 2 years. Great work!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
It's been two years since I stopped drinking and I feel a bit humbled today. I couldn't have done it without all of you here. I remember how scared I was to even think about getting sober. I could only imagine my life would be worse. After all, a couple hours of relief was better than nothing, even if I had to pay dearly for it. I knew I had to quit (someday) but not now - not when I was just trying to get through another day of fear and anxiety, trying to get some work done, covering up the effects of past drinking and trying to control the constant cravings. It got harder and harder.

Somehow I found SR and started reading. (Strangely, it became my new pastime while drinking!) One day two years ago, after several drinks, I got up the nerve to make my first post which was titled something like "Why do I keep doing this to myself?" That was the last time I drank.

The ironic thing about getting sober is that you have to do it first in order to actually want it. Over days, weeks, months, you begin to realize what you've been missing: waking up and feeling peaceful, listening to the birds sing……. learning and growing and feeling connected to life again. It grows over time, so you have to have patience with yourself. If I had to sum it up, the first year for me was all about staying sober by any means possible. The second year has been more about what's under the surface: how do I deal with me? But it's also been a year of more and more joy...... even the bad stuff doesn't freak me out anymore - life is good!

If I could give a message to someone just starting out it would be: have compassion for yourself. Compassion means understanding, empathy and kindness. Most of us spend years thinking negatively, judging and beating ourselves up in one way or another - and really, who would want to live with that?! If we can't live with ourselves, nothing is going to help. It's obvious, I know, but just try spending a day without judging yourself and see what happens. Compassion means you accept where you are, care for and comfort yourself and give yourself the opportunity to heal, honor your feelings and learn from them, feel worthy of help if you need it. I'm still working on it, but I can tell you it's made all the difference! Love you all (and thanks for your invaluable support)!!!!:ghug3
^worth repeating.. what a great post! Congrats on your first Two Years!!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow! Great post! Thank you for the inspirational words...I'm coming up on 1 year and am excited to hear that it keeps getting better and better.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Way to go, Artsoul! I'm happy that you are doing so well, fellow Mayflower. Keep it up and thanks for the great post.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congratulations and thank you for the wonderful post.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Awesome share, Artsoul! Congratulations on your Two Years!!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on 2years.It is great to be able to say you have been sober for years.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

That was an amazing and inspirational post, artsoul. Congratulations, and thank you.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Great post! Congratulations on the 2 years!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Holy Cow Artsoul has 2years! I remember reading your post early in my recovery and how you helped me so much. Thanks for sharing that awesome post and a BIG congrats on 2 years Artsoul!...
Old 05-02-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Awesome!!

I could relate to a lot of what you said.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post

The ironic thing about getting sober is that you have to do it first in order to actually want it. Over days, weeks, months, you begin to realize what you've been missing: waking up and feeling peaceful, listening to the birds sing……. learning and growing and feeling connected to life again. It grows over time, so you have to have patience with yourself.
Thanks for this ^ I've Found the more sober days I have, the more I awaken, and the more I see what I've missed, and what a selfish fool I've been. This spoke volumes to me.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Dont know how I missed this yesterday!

Congrats Artsoul! Thanks for all the thoughtful posts and reflections and thank you for helping out here. So true, what you wrote about having to get sober to truly want it. That was the catch-22 I found myself in for the longest time.

Here's to many more years of sobriety to come! :ghug3