Notices

uh... social skills?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lady Blaze

Unhappy uh... social skills?

23 days sober....During my 8 year long active addiction I pushed everyone away. People scare me to the point of never going anywhere with my boyfriend. And I have NO friends of my own.... I feel so lonely.
How do you make friends again?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I'll let you know when I find out. I'm on day 31 and miss my beer mates. Its hard, but I do have 20+ year friends who know me drunk or sober. I would try find a sober mate first, I am gonna post and see if anyone is in my area, close enough to drive to meet for coffee.
You know all the ways to make friends, remember you are in control now, you will be the same at the biginning and the end of the social event. I am looking forward to that.

I have a few friends round here who don't dwell in the pub, I am calling on them, just once or twice a week for an hour, its nice. You probably have people who can develop a friendship with, someone who is just an acquintence now.

Keep going, I feel great, hope you do. But yes, lonely, thats why I'm on here all the
time.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know what you guys are doing for recovery....But if you want to meet some nice sober people doing the same thing you are...Check out a few AA meetings. Some good people there that don't drink and know how to have fun not drinking.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a process like anything else

I had to get to know who sober me was first, and then get comfortable with that to be in a headspace to make new friends...I had a lot of rebuilding to do and new things to learn.

For the actually meeting new people I hear AA is pretty good for that...a few cities seem to be starting sober social groups too...
Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there. I actually just joined and this is the first post i stopped at because I actually feel the same way. I was an addict for 6 years and just in the past year have gotten on meds to help me start over again.(Which is a whole different topic in itself). But I met a guy who changed my life and helped me get started on my road to recovery. He ois know my fiance and I am very happy and blessed to have him in my life. Heres the problem though, since I have started on this "new road" all of my old friends are just that old friends. I dont even know how to go about forming new ones. My fiance is a very outgoing kinda guy and he always wants to go places and do things with people. After he usually tlaks me into it i end up going to. Before i was an addict i was all about going out and meeting new people but now its like taking on something i cant or dont know how to handle. I just wish i could snap out of it. people do try to talk to me and i talk back but it kinda ends there. i dont know where or what to do from there. maybe its me freaking myself out thinking their not interested. i kinda dont know whta to say. its crazy. i have friends at work that are good people and i have no problem talking there to them and stuff. But its meeting new people like the wives of my fiances friends. Sorry my post is so long. But just so u know warrior queen your not the only one. Where do we start? My fiance is like my one and only best friend but I would also like to hang out with girls and other people to . but its like soomething stops me. How do we start again? havong friends and why are our social skills so GONE just from the road we took