# 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol induced hypertension...

Hi guys,

Has anybody ever had this?

Thanks in advance,

Bruno.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You may be a bit young for a hypertension diagnosis Bruno, but then I'm not a doctor...I know alcohol gave me lots of anxiety, especially related to health problems. Then the good people of this site suggested I get sober It has certainly helped with the paranoia!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks matey :-)

How would you describe the feeling of anxiety?

Thanks again,

Bruno.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fonejacker is on channel 4 now, that should relieve some anxiety
Old 05-01-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Facejacker rather
Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

do you think you might have it Bruno?

D
Old 05-01-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes in the latter part of the day (when you usually go for a check up) when your body goes into even mild withdrawal from the drinking the night before, your blood pressure can shoot up. I had it...

Emphasize on HAD. Now i'm 80 some days not drinking and I dont have it anymore!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I honestly don't know Dee,

It is possible that I'm getting it confused with anxiety.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've managed to convince myself I was having a heart attack, palpitations that last for hours, or just an overwhelming feeling of dread and blind panic, sweating, shaking, passing out. My heart rate seemed permanently fast for a long period of time, I was scared to exercise. Pressure in my head that lasted for months so that I couldn't hear well out of one ear and felt dizzy most of the time. Numbness in my hands and head and occasional loss of feeling in my right leg... I can pretty much guarantee that all of this was alcohol related and 98% of it has been sorted by getting sober
Old 05-01-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go to Doc Bruno x
Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I've managed to convince myself I was having a heart attack, palpitations that last for hours, or just an overwhelming feeling of dread and blind panic, sweating, shaking, passing out. My heart rate seemed permanently fast for a long period of time, I was scared to exercise. Pressure in my head that lasted for months so that I couldn't hear well out of one ear and felt dizzy most of the time. Numbness in my hands and head and occasional loss of feeling in my right leg... I can pretty much guarantee that all of this was alcohol related and 98% of it has been sorted by getting sober
That sounds horrendous.

I'm glad that you've got it sorted now,

I do have some of those symptoms but not as hardcore,

I think a visit to the drs is on the cards,

Thank you,

Bruno.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

My blood pressure was in hypertension level when I was drinking. It's now normal/low - after 4 months of not drinking. Before I tried everything (but quitting drinking), from exercise to low sodium diet. Drinking is what did it. Now my cholesterol and BP are back to normal. Phew!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Give it time Seriously though, even though technically all my health problems were in my head they weren't fun. I don't know how good your docs are Bruno but mine just sent me for countless blood tests. Obviously it's a relief if your liver and stuff is ok but then that often just gave me the excuse to carry on drinking. Despite the inevitable medical implications of drinking I think the anxiety, paranoia and mental strain can be just as damaging, and that can only be solved by getting out of the cycle of addiction. A doctor can't magic away your anxiety, believe me, I tried. Once they tell you that medically you are fine though you can go on to quit drinking safe in the knowledge that it isn't too late (not that it ever is) and you can live life free of the anxiety and stress that drinking causes.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Assumption made that most of us had that in really early recovery as alcohol messes with our blood pressure....

A doctor can validate that or not.... go see one!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

My blood pressure has been normal (120/80) since ~60 days of sobriety, my resting heart rate has drop 25 beats as well. I was in the hypertension zone when still drinking.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

We're not supposed to give out medical advice but I guess I can say that, if by "hypertension", you mean the medical term for high blood pressure, yes, I've had that in the past when I was drinking. And as part of the detox procedure in a rehab they check your blood pressure maybe every half hour at first for at least two or three days. Finally, just about everyone says that during the initial withdrawal phase there's lots of anxiety, feeling hyper, unable to concentrate, overly active, unable to sleep. Very unpleasant. But it usually goes away in three or four days. When it does this may lead to a false sense of confidence, where a person tends to underestimate the gravity of the problem and is tempted to say, "Well I just had too much. I'll be more careful next time!" Some say that this is the most dangerous time in recovery. And it can last for quite a while. Believers in AA say that it's important to go to lots of meetings at first just to stay focussed on the issues. Whatever is the case, it seems that there's part of an alcoholic's brain that desperately wants to resume drinking and figures out all kinds of reasons for doing do. With sobriety this diminishes over the years.

W.

W.