SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Thanks! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/255622-thanks.html)

ilovedbeer 05-01-2012 09:00 AM

Thanks!

So I've made the commitment. I'm going to stop drinking. I spent a couple hours last night reading through these messages and left completely motivated, thanks to all of you guys. Today will be day 2.

I went out to dinner with my wife last night and ordered a Diet Coke instead of beer. I NEVER order Diet Coke instead of beer! It actually felt good. We got home earlier than normal and my kids were still up. I didn't feel like I had to hide anything from them. We sat around talking and laughing for awhile. I loved it! It was easy and I feel great today. I know it won't always be easy like that. In fact I still have my Vegas trip at the end of the month that really worries me.

Anyway, thanks everybody for the personal stories. You are all very motivating to me! Let's do this thing!!!

eJoshua 05-01-2012 09:10 AM

Congrats on your decision! Soon enough you'll have to change your user name to ilovedbeer. ;)

least 05-01-2012 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by eJoshua (Post 3384300)
Congrats on your decision! Soon enough you'll have to change your user name to ilovedbeer. ;)

I was going to say the same thing! "Iusedtolovebeer" would work also.:)

Glad you made the choice to stop - sober life is so rewarding. I get the first of my daily rewards for staying sober when I wake up feeling good.:)

FBL 05-01-2012 10:16 AM

Welcome and congrats on your decision to quit. Beer was my DOC for nearly 30 years. Gave it up nearly 3 years ago and don't miss it a bit. Good luck!

doggonecarl 05-01-2012 10:25 AM

One thing I've learned (of course it took quitting to learn it) is that being chained to a beer makes for a short leash.

I count my blessings every day that I'm beer free.

Nextchapter 05-01-2012 10:50 AM

Day 2 for me too!

ilovedbeer 05-01-2012 11:15 AM

Thanks guys. I actually had that same thought about changing my username. Must admit though, I do still love it. It is different than it used to be though. Maybe that is why I'm wanting the change in my life. I hope I get to the point that I don't love it anymore!

Dee74 05-01-2012 02:42 PM

great decision ILB :)

D

Sapling 05-01-2012 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ilovebeer (Post 3384475)
I hope I get to the point that I don't love it anymore!

I think you'll get to the point where you love talking and laughing with your family more than beer and beer won't matter as much. What's the gig on this vegas trip?...That's something you have to do?...I know at one month I wouldn't try to pull that off.

eh1988 05-01-2012 02:51 PM

Congrats on day 2! I used to think I loved beer too, but once you get some sober days behind you, you realize that it's a 1 sided relationship. You'll learn to hate it once you step back and see how many problems it caused you.

Ranger 05-01-2012 03:14 PM

Sobriety wiped the scales from my eyes, thereby enabling me to realize my "love" for beer was as dysfunctional as a wife's love of a husband who gives her a good beating every now and then.