Notices

You worthless piece of s*+!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've been through similar to Anna and agree, I had to realize it was the other person with the problem, not myself, though it is extremely demoralizing and it was only when I started working on my own emotional healing I could learn to disconnect.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Weasel: My father told me when I was young that "I don't like you and the person you are." That was one of the nicer things he said, the rest I don't want to repeat even here. That has all stuck with me through my adulthood and I realize that no father should ever say that to their daughter better yet another person. It's fueled my drinking but I know underneath it all that he would take it back if he could. I also know it's not true, and it's just through getting sober (I am detoxing now) that I can heal.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Paradox, Humor, Change

Charon, I believe most (not all) of us in recovery had very challanging childhoods. You are not alone. I got tons of negative programing as a child. But I am not a child anymore, but an adult. To get sober, I had to take responsibilty for my recovery. Training the voice in the mind to talk nice to me is a process that I am improving at. Teaching the voice in the mind to talk nice to me is an action. Not taking that first drink is an action. Pratice makes the master. Anything you practice you will improve at. If you start taking positive healthy actions, like not drinking today, you whole life will begin to change. Whooooosh......and you will find yourself in a much better place. I write this 92 days sober, so I am a rookie, but my life is much improved in three short months. Its action that got me this far. Best wishes to you.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Charon - you had a run-in with a chain saw and left with merely a nicked finger (yes, I read the other thread). In my book, that alone makes you special.
It's funny - being sober did make a subtle difference. I've hit many fingers, thumbs, and arms on different machines while drinking - table saw, jointer, band saw. Never any terrible injury - still have all my digits and they are usable. But, previously I had to look to see how bad it was. This time my first thought was "Just a nick. It'll need a bandage but no real damage." I was concious enough and in tune with my body not to have to wonder how much damage I had done. I was still p155ed for the dumb mistake but went inside and wrapped some guaze and carried on instead of having to drop everything and go to the ER for stitches. Oh yes, and the rest of the day I was very aware of where the chain was. Using an arborists saw one handed puts your other hand in harm's way. Something I now know and will take to heart.

Don't know about special but I'll take luck in addition to skill everyday, everyway.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Vinyl, Thanks I am in counseling. Doing something called EMDR. Its for post traumatic stress and other types of trauma. Never thought of my childhood as trauma but now I realize that it took me till my early 30's to stop being in survival mode.

Cannot believe that all this is coming up so strong today. Certainly cannot believe that I am putting it out there for all the world to see. Guess ya cannot solve issues in the dark.

Ken
I do EMDR as well. I find it a bit dizzying at first until I got the full understanding of the reasoning behind it. But it does help.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
That's what my step father told me everyday for years. I told myself I did not believe him. That I was a good person. I drank last night. Head throbbing. Feeling like a piece of sh*!.

What do ya do when ya not sure what to do. I mean being sober is what in need to do but how do you erase the pain of worthlessness?
To erase the pain of worthlessness we need to start giving ourselves the worth that others did not. When we obliviate through alcohol, drugs, whatever we are merely repeating the pattern, as if we ourselves don't think our own lives are worthy.

Anna, I'd love to see that inner child healing thing too - would you also PM it to me? Thank you!!!