Notices

Took NyQuil, Question

Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Took NyQuil, Question

I have a really bad cold and a friend gave me NyQuil and not knowing that it content 10% alcohol. I have no thoughts on going on a bender or start drinking. I have no drug problem aka pills/drug medication problem.

Do I need to start on day one again? I general don't count my days.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I personally wouldn't count that as a "relapse". It is medication. If I had a wicked cold I would take NyQuil to help me feel better, for sure.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Na...don't be ridiculous.

Some people do and some don't with NyQuil. Ive taken it when I'm sick and need to sleep. Take only the recommended dose and only when your sick obviously.

Or if you're uncomfortable with it, don't take it going forward. It is not a relapse though.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Nope
Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just don't drink a bottle of it Action ;-) Take care & get well soon
Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Yeah, make sure it was measured. You're ok. Unless you drank the whole bottle, which is really bad for your stomach lining!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nope.
Now you know it has alcohol tho, I'd maybe think about using one of the many non alcoholic options

D
Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yea there's also dextromethorphan in it which can make you doppy or hallucinate if you take too much
Old 05-01-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No, I wouldn't consider that a relapse.
If you go out and buy a bottle and guzzle it, that would be a relapse.
Feel better.
Paracetamol will do the trick, lots of hot drinks and get some rest.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Action,

I'll go against conventional wisdom, because I rather enjoy doing that, and give you something to consider. You don't count days, so whether or not you have to start at Day 1 is moot.

However, how important is it for you to stay sober? You have a history of not staying sober, and you knowingly ingested something with some alcohol in it. And for what? Because you have a cold. So, the symptoms of a cold are more important than not ingesting alcohol. Add to this the fact there are numerous alcohol-free alternatives to Nyquil, and not ingesting alcohol has moved down your importance list to below the inconvenience of running to the store and buying a $4 bottle of alcohol-free cold medicine.

Relapse or not is your own business, but you may want to consider the importance you place on your sobriety, and see if that importance is warranted with your own personal history.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

no, a very wise woman told me two months ago to read the label on everything I eat or ingest.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not sure about you, but I can't really even taste or feel the alcohol in NyQuil, therefore I don't fear a relapse.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
I have a really bad cold and a friend gave me NyQuil and not knowing that it content 10% alcohol. I have no thoughts on going on a bender or start drinking. I have no drug problem aka pills/drug medication problem.

As long as you took it as prescribed and not abused it you're fine. I personally won't take it anymore because I don't trust myself. I used to drink that stuff from the bottle and take shots of Jack with it. So when I have a cold I use dayquil or I just tough it out. I don't want anything in my system that might trigger me.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better, Action.

In general, my feeling is this -Yes, I'm an alcoholic but that doesn't mean I should suffer more than others when I am sick or in pain.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Still sick and the NyQuil did work. I didn't go out and drink nor binge nor had the desire to in anyway.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think the only real person that can answer if you need to start over again is you.

I am an alcoholic and drug addict. When I have a cold, or injury, and I have to take medication that alters my perceptions - I have to take a very close look at myself, and be very aware of what is going on in my head.

Sometimes a cold, for me, is just a good reason to slam a little too much nyquil, and take a little too long of a nap if you know what I mean.. Or, sometimes that dental work that came with a prescription of "reasonable pain medication" can be a real challenge.

It is all about what is going on in your head... If, when you took the Nyquil, and you were anxious and excited for its affects, this could be a problem.

For some of us, there is no such thing as a safe dose where you can follow the doctors orders.

I call it the "woo hoo!! alarm" I know... It's weird... But that is how I am aware of my behavior. When I am sick, or otherwise prescribed mind altering medicaiton, and in my mind I think "woo hoo!!" I think of it as an alarm of impending doom.

Did your "woo hoo alarm" go off?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I took some Benadryl about a week about. (Pill form.)

I think as long as you're not drinking a bottle of it a day, you're fine. I mean, as long as you're using it AS driected, I don't see a problem with it.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post

No. Just continue staying sober. Nyquil gel caps do not have alcohol in them so maybe use them next time. This is not medical advice