Notices

Relapse after 11 months....starting again

Old 04-30-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse after 11 months....starting again

Hi all,

I'm new here, been lurking a while and finally decided to join. I'm currently on day 3 of my new sobriety after falling off from 11 months of not drinking. I got complacent about my sobriety and my addict mind told me I "probably wasn't alcoholic after all." (This after handling a couple of drinks here and there without nearly killing myself....)

So I finally drank as I usually do (to blackout oblivion) was confronted about it and decided to stay drunk for two days out of spite and anger.

This place seems to be super supportive and I plan to participate here and utilize meetings so I don't "forget to remember" why I stopped drinking...and that yes, I am truly an alcoholic.

In case you're curious...I was an active alcoholic for 10 years. Started off drinking nightly almost right away (for sleep). Then a nightly blackout drinker onto a garden variety all day drunk. Tried to stop here and there which resulted in binges that landed me in the hospital a time or two.

The last 11 months prior to my 2 day binge (plus one month of kidding myself)have been my longest sober time in 11 years. I was very proud of that time, regret losing it but still value it because it taught me a lot about life and myself (just as my drinking has strangely). Now I will try again.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YIQuit View Post
This place seems to be super supportive and I plan to participate here and utilize meetings so I don't "forget to remember" why I stopped drinking...and that yes, I am truly an alcoholic.
Welcome YIQuit...It's a great site for support...Sorry to hear about your relapse....You mention meetings....Were you sober in AA and had worked the 12 steps?...The reason I ask is because I use that program and I haven't seen many people relapse that have. It's good to have you here and best of luck to you.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Good for you for getting back at it and knowing that you need to stop drinking.

And, yes, I agree that we learn things about ourselves from each and every thing that we go through. I had no idea of the inner strength I had until I began recovery.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3
Old 04-30-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome YIQuit! Good to have you with us! Those 11 months are still a victory, for sure. Congrats for getting back on track!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome replies.....
To Sapling...I was not sober through AA. I used prayer and family support. But I'm realizing that approach is too passive. I need to be working a program.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YIQuit View Post
Thanks for the welcome replies.....
To Sapling...I was not sober through AA. I used prayer and family support. But I'm realizing that approach is too passive. I need to be working a program.
Prayer and family support are a big part of my recovery....I needed a few more tools to make it work...Keep at it YIQuit.....It pays off.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, YIQuit! I love it here!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna, artsoul and Sissy. Sapling, you're right God and family have seen me through A LOT. I just need to stay focused on my one day at a time instead of thinking "I got this thing under control."