Notices

Newly sober single Mom of 5

Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly sober single Mom of 5

I feel I can relate to so many of the posts that I've read on here the last few days. I finally got up the courage to introduce myself.

I was a binge drinker in highschool, and on and off through college. I had a serious BF who didn't drink for most of college, so that made it easy to not drink. When we broke up after 7 years I went on a bad binge drinking spree.

I met my now ex husband, who also was not a drinker. Again for long periods of time I didn't drink. We had 3 kids.....don't ever remember drinking or really going out during those years. My ex joined a band, and thats where my drinking started up again. I would get very jealous of all the female attention he would get. I found out he had several affairs. The drinking was a way to escape the pain and hurt. I thought we were trying to rebuild our marriage when I found out I was pregnant with twins. Later found out that while I was working nights at the hospital, he was sneaking women into our house.

We are now divorced for almost a year. I'm the single Mom to 5. I have the kids full time. He only has them e/o weekend and has supervised visitation. I think the realization of all the affairs, the divorce, raising the kids alone, and feeling like my life was turned totally upside down made me turn back to drinking last fall. Before that I would binge drink, but it would just be for a night when I was away from the kids. This past year has turned into daily binge drinking. I've known it needed to stop. I was even able for the last few months to stop durring the week and only drink on the weekends. But I'm ready to let go of this hold it has on my every daily thought of when the next drink will come! Thanks for reading!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome butterflies5 x
Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome I'm new here today too
Old 04-30-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I think we all know how badly you feel, physically and emotionally. I had to sign into an in hospital detox to finally get safely off it, and had my regular Doc, VA Doc, counselors, and a great little AA group, as well as family and friends in my corner. I joined SR and AA just after I detoxed as added support, and it all worked for me, and everyone else who was willing to do whatever it took.

I am a little more than a year and a half into sobriety now and am so glad I did drop it when I did. I was at the point that I was throwing up many mornings because I could not keep down the scotch I had to put in my first three coffees to stop shaking and be normal for me. I was getting sicker by the day and it would have killed me had I continued. I would not be here today, had I not gotten all the help I needed. I quit chain smoking at the same time. I figured why waste a perfectly good detox on just one of my three drugs of choice. (I am still addicted to caffeine by way of coffee)

It is funny now but I realize why people say "if I can do it anybody can," because now I "are" one of them too. That is one of those sayings that only becomes sensible when we each can say it.

You have your hands full and sobriety will make it so much easier for you to deal with a family alone.

Life doesn't get any easier, sobriety does.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Butterflies, welcome I guess I am on the opposite side of your situation. I have a 16 month old daughter which I get to spend 5-6 hours supervised ever weekend. This is because of my drinking.

The pain of all you have been through needs to be recognized, dealt with, and put behind you. Drinking only hides the issues and postpones the inevitable.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi butterflies5, welcome :-) we are all in this together in a funny way, you will find alot of support here. xx
Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome butterflies5...I had to detox safely and find a recovery program with support...I couldn't do it alone and I admit it. Best of luck to you and use this site for support.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thank you all so much for all the words of encouragemenet and the warm welcome!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am a little late to the party, but welcome to SR! You will find a lot of people that you have a lot in common with (me). This site has helped keep me sober for 8.5 months....nothing short of a miracle. Best wishes!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome butterflies!

Glad you decided to post today! I'm a single mom, too - not an easy job, but doing it while drinking makes it 100 times harder. I've found that I'm much calmer and more positive now that I'm sober. Who would have guessed? At one time I thought alcohol was the only thing I had to look forward to. As it turned out, it was slowly eating away my soul.

Things really will get better - you can do it!:ghug3