Notices

Hello, I'm new

Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm new

Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to being sober I'm a binge drinker, I only drink at weekends (never during the week) but when I do drink......I have no limits. I drink until I pass out, lose all control over my thoughts, actions and behaviour. I shout abuse and say very bad things to the my friends, family, boyfriend. I start fights, I've slept with people I wouldn't normally. I've done worse things that I don't want to post on here too. Frankly, the drunk version of me is a disgusting, vile person.

Sober, without sounding big headed, I think I'm quite nice. I'm friendly, if a bit shy and reserved. I'm generally happy and my friends describe me as funny and laid back.

So why do I drink so much and become a monster? Part of the reason is that I can be quite shy in social situations. I first started drinking when I was about 16 or 17. Back then I was much shyer than what I am now. Drinking gave me confidence and allowed me to talk to people I didn't know without feeling anxious.

I've decided I want to give up drinking for a number of reasons. These are (in no order):

My health - I want to be fit and healthy for my own family, when I have one in the future

My dignity / reputation - no more falling over, starting fights, getting lost, being taken home by the police

Taste - Alcohol doesn't actually taste nice! I usually drink wine (two bottles at time), and guess what? I think it tastes disgusting, would rather have a coke any time.

Friends - I've lost a lot of friends through drinking. People don't want to associate with me. I'm a liability.

Family - I've had arguments with my family when drunk. Said things I don't mean. Called my boyfriend nasty names

Vulnerability - As a young woman, I've been in many situations where I've been very vulnerable. Once, I got lost, I roamed the streets in the middle of winter wearing nothing but a vest top and jeans (no shoes). Wondered into a strangers garden, fell over, stayed there for a bit. I'm lucky I've never been raped.

Career - I've been taken home by the police a few times when I'm drunk. I'm lucky I've never been arrested or locked up! Or done something that could send me to jail. I've attacked people before and I'm lucky they haven't phoned the police taken further action.

I don't want to upset my friends, family and boyfriend any more with my behaviour. I'm removing alcohol from my life, and for some time, I'm removing myself from social situations where I might drink (pubs, house parties etc).

Thanks for reading. I needed to get all that off my chest!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Nice to meet you and I wish you well.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to this fantastic forum hun.Have a look through and read the advice.It is fab
Old 04-30-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ex binge drinker here too, good luck with your new start.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 Glad you joined us!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm New too and have had lots of help already, its a good place, stick with it
Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR sunandrain x
Old 04-30-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by sunandrain View Post
Sober,
My health
My dignity / reputation
Taste
Friends
Family
Vulnerability
Career
Quite the best summing up of why not to drink I have seen in a long time, you will do well at SR!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome sunandrain...It sounds like you have enough reasons to stop for good. You're in a good place.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the messages I know I can do this, I know what to do and how to do it (and I've known for a long time).............It's just a matter of actually doing it and staying strong!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome sunandrain, glad you're here!!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I have been seeing you around the forums today welcome to the group!