Notices

Drinking is not an option?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking is not an option?

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
I can tell you that as long as you leave the option of drinking open, or the choice available, you will have debates and fights. I use AVRT, and it is somewhat of a paradox, but I no longer choose not to drink. When I made a plan for permanent, unconditional, irrevocable abstinence, I effectively decided never to choose again, and in doing so, the power of choice was removed.
I really like this, Drinking is not an option, that's very helpfull, thanks TU.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been reading Rational Recovery's website. I'm interested in hearing opinions of this method versus AA.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have not participated in AA and will withhold my mostly uninformed opinion.

RR is a very empowering method that, once you to make the choice to quit drinking, gives you the tools to deal with the "great persuader" (you) and then allows you to move on with the rest of your life.

No relapses. It's simply not possible. Note I said simple, not easy.

This forum was integral to my sobriety. While I was using RR without knowing and had already made the choice to quit drinking, RR helped me to ferret out the little voice that was leaving the possibility of the future use of alcohol open.

My advice: read up on RR. Get the book. As TU points out it is relatively inexpensive...certainly less than a night drinking!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unentschieden View Post
No relapses. It's simply not possible.
That's a pretty strong claim.....You'd think that would be front page news. I haven't read the book...Does it say that?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paradox, Humor, Change

I am an active AA member, but I wholeheartedly agree with making your mind up 100% to not drink anymore and not consider it as a choice.. And if that voice speaks to you and tells you to take a drink. DONT BELIEVE IT. Best wishes on a long healthy sober life for all of you.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
I really like this, Drinking is not an option, that's very helpfull, thanks TU.
Your could say that TU's post was a good secular summary of the first three steps of AA.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Your could say that TU's post was a good secular summary of the first three steps of AA.
I've had more exposure to AA, and none with AVRTso I can't really say I like one better than the other, i just like telling myself, "drinking is not an option" didn't mean to promote AVRT. Whatever works for ya, that's all that matters. i hope i didn't start a war, sincerily
Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in AA but really don't have a negative opinion of anything that keeps us sober.
Seems we all have one common goal... sobriety.
for me to drink is to die
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I wouldn't go that far, but I get your meaning. As I said, it is somewhat of a paradox, and it often trips up AVRT newbies. I was on the RR forums once, and someone posted about 'choosing not to drink today', and Jack Trimpey replied along the lines of "I hope you change your thinking on that. If you have indeed decided to never drink again, and to never change your mind, then you no longer have a choice." I had to ponder that one... wheels started turning... duh! It made quite a difference in how much of a struggle it was, though.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
That's a pretty strong claim.....You'd think that would be front page news. I haven't read the book...Does it say that?
As much as AA says that they have never seen someone follow thier path and fail yes. Although in RR/AVRT's case it changes the deffinetion of "relapse" as compared to most peoples idea of it. Instead of a unwillfull inevitable act it calls it basicaly changing your mind about not drinking which you are very able to do if you so choose. However if you follow the tennants of RR then you choose to remove alcohol from you life completley, this choice makes all other choices surrounding alcohol non-exsistent. Again it is all a matter of interpretation and semantics but just about anything makes sense from a certain point of view. After all Obiwan told Luke Darth Vader killed his father.

Not trying to start an argument so if I have that wrong in someones opinion please don't be offended.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
I wouldn't go that far, but I get your meaning. As I said, it is somewhat of a paradox, and it often trips up AVRT newbies. I was on the RR forums once, and someone posted about 'choosing not to drink today', and Jack Trimpey replied along the lines of "I hope you change your thinking on that. If you have indeed decided to never drink again, and to never change your mind, then you no longer have a choice." I had to ponder that one... wheels started turning... duh! It made quite a difference in how much of a struggle it was, though.
I do like to look for similarities. The "choosing not to drink" was not a possibility for me as I had lost the power of choice. Instead I made a decision to head off in a completely different direction and adopt a new way of thinking. Today I don't make any decision at all about drinking. It never comes up and I don't believe it ever will.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
As much as AA says that they have never seen someone follow thier path and fail yes.
They don't say that in AA...They say rarely...I've never seen anyone fail that thoroughly followed it. I just think if people are new to recovery and are dealing with a life threatening disease....You have to be kind of careful about what a program offers. I'm all for giving people hope....But saying relapse never happens is a little much.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
They don't say that in AA...They say rarely...I've never seen anyone fail that thoroughly followed it.
My appologies I did misquote that, it wasn't intentional.

For the record I wasn't trying to stomp on AA I know nothing about it so try to make no comments for or against. The last one I made may have been leaning the wrong way. But anyhow I was just trying to explain the RR point of view or definition of "relapse" as I see it, and can understand your concern with newcomers not having any knowledge of RR and its theroy could be mislead (perhaps not the right word) by that statment. It makes sense when viewed as TU like to say "through the lense of AVRT" but not everyone has those particular pair of spectacles on.

But I am in danger of hijacking the thread so will now be putting myself in a time out .
Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by john44 View Post
I've been reading Rational Recovery's website. I'm interested in hearing opinions of this method versus AA.
Does anyone know where the thread is that asked if AA and AVRT are compatable?

For me, I know little of AA but am beginning to learn after years of unfounded prejudice.

My stumbling block was admitting that I was powerless over alcohol. I didn't like that, and therefore didn't go to AA and carried on emanating power over my drinking by getting drunk every night

AVRT gave me a way in because I didn't have to say I was an alcoholic. It is empowering and very good for stubborn people like me.

However it does seem to exist as an antidote to AA and I think for a lot of people who have never been to AA it could exist in it's own right.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Could be a bit like trying to ride two bicycles at the same time, wobbly.

But there is no reason one fellow in AA shouldn't encourage another in AVRT and vice versa. The end result is far more important than the method and if one bicycle breaks down, you can always get on the other one.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Random Guy

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...s-rr-avrt.html

I am pretty sure this is the one you are looking for Hypo some really good reading that.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks INH, I remember seeing that but never read it x
Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Paradox, Humor, Change

This is a very helpful thread for me, at the end of the day I have made a healthy choice to take responsibilty for my recovery. Learning how not to drink is a journey, I dont want to ever think I have the sober life in my back pocket. If someone in RR, AVRT, Celebrate Recovery, the Pope, the Dali Lama, a homeless guy on the street, has a helpful message on the sober life for this AA guy, I will take it. The Big Book talks about the idea, that somehow someday we will be able to enjoy and control our drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker....and later it says, this idea has to be smashed (or we will wind up smashed lol). I agree with RR or AVRT on this one, they are saying the same thing in a different way. Drinking has ceased to be an option for me, today, tomorrow forever. Thanks everyone for feedback on this thread it is a good one.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My stumbling block was admitting that I was powerless over alcohol. I didn't like that, and therefore didn't go to AA and carried on emanating power over my drinking by getting drunk every night
I became an example of powerless in the sense that I believed I was inept to stop drinking and acted accordingly.

I find its much better to believe I have a choice to drink or not. With the option to not drink, I can act accordingly with not drinking.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't feel powerless over alcohol until i take that first drink, then, most of the time, i can't stop, (powerless)