Notices

Feel very flat today...

Old 04-29-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel very flat today...

Hi all, hope you are all having a relaxing and enjoyable weekend, and those of you that are struggling please keep strong xx

Just checking in as on day 9 (11hours and 28mins.. love that calculator!)

The past week has had many highs and lows, but yesterday and this morning I have just felt flat.. and very tearful! I completely over reacted about my daughter having her ears pierced yesterday, have achieved nothing all weekend and feel like I haven't had a proper nights sleep in years.

I also keep finding myself looking back at all the horrible things that have happened to me over the years and that I have done to others, and that is not a nice place to be.

I realise from reading posts that this is probably normal this early on, and my logical brain keeps telling me that these are the reasons why I can not have that first drink.. and I will not have one... but I wish there was a way, without alcohol, to block out all the negative thoughts and just enjoy the knowledge that my future will be much brighter!!

Don't suppose the weather is helping, it hasn't stopped being grey and rainy in days!

Sorry to moan and a big thank you to all of you for all the positive and inspirational posts that have been made over the last few days, I have been reading them every day.. they have really helped x
Old 04-29-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you working a recovery program TimeToGetALife? Or at least looking into one?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hiya :-) dont feel down, this is an emotional time and its okay to feel like your on a rollercoatser, i certainly feel up and down! This isnt gonna be easy, think we knew it wasnt gonna be something that just happened overnight. Because your sober and your head is clear, your gonna be having flashbacks and thinkin bout what happened in the past, i know i have, ive been thinkin bout the time i wasted, the mistakes ive made, the wrong choices and stupid things ive said and done over the years, alot of them when drunk! That was then...and this is now, cant change the past and the past has made us who we are now..so chin up, today is a new day, a sober day..that in itself is something to celebrate, there are people out there that would do anything to have had the realisation you had when you decided you no longer wanted to be a slave to alcohol...take a moment..breath..and soldier on :-)) its a blip..nothin more..nothin less!! xx
Old 04-29-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been following the advice on the AA website but to be honest I am still plucking up the courage to go to my first meeting. I know that I should just get it over with and go...
Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You've really done the work but that old voice of alcohol will bully you.
I was up and down for a couple of weeks . I quickly became more level though on days felt down though as someone said to me "that's it your getting the hang of it "
When feeling like I needed to be moved on ,AVRT helped in learning a few mantras.
Well done on the smashing of the first week.
Just keep those days ticking on.
John.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are so right Sea, thank you x and my logical brain is telling me that all the time.. I have decided that I am going to get up, sort the cleaning out, start the dinner and get on with my day, instead of sitting around feeling sorry for myself.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The weather is absolutely vile today

This is totally normal TTGAL. I had the feeling flat, crying for no good reason and the regret. We've been blocking out all of our emotions for years and now we have to learn healthy ways of dealing with them. It's something which I imagine is going to take a lot of work.

But you're sober which is the most important thing! Well done on the 9 days x
Old 04-29-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimeToGetALife View Post
I have been following the advice on the AA website but to be honest I am still plucking up the courage to go to my first meeting. I know that I should just get it over with and go...
How many times do you have to read on here from people trying to get the courage up to go to a meeting....Just to come on here and say how wonderful it was? I looked at getting sober as a life saving job for me...Because that's what it was. Sometimes you have to dig deep and ask for help to find the strength and courage you need. But it's there.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you

yes get up and do something. Early in sobriety I would listen to inspirational and instructional stuff while I did the housework. XA speakers are great to listen to.

Replace those negatives tapes that are on the loop with something that can change your thinking.

It does get better but it takes action on your part to get things rolling.

All the best.
CaiHong
Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimeToGetALife View Post

Just checking in as on day 9 (11hours and 28mins.. love that calculator!)
Thanks for pointing that out! I missed it. I have an app on my phone that tells me but only to the day, this is great :ghug3
Old 04-30-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How are you doing today TTGAL? SR folks and the people at AA helped me to realize that recovery is about the ups AND the downs, this little gem helps me out all the time: "you're right where you're supposed to be." Try out a meeting and if it's not for you, you can always leave. Personally I've come to rely on that fellowship, support and understanding as an integral part of my recovery. There are plenty of recovery options, and you get to choose whatever works for you :ghug3

Hoping you have a wonderful day today!!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As you already know, the symptoms you have been experiencing are completely normal. I'm 13 days sober now and it seems that almost anything can make me cry (tears of joy and sadness). I think it has to do with my body finally adjusting the sober me. Alcohol really blocked out my emotions and for the first time in a while I can now experience happiness and sadness. Since my body has been out of touch with these emotions for such a long time, they are very intense. In addition my sense of smell, taste, and touch have all been heightened. You'll be OK. :ghug3
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can commiserate with you. At times I'm feeling very "flat" as if there is nothing that enthuses me or gives me inspiration. My get up and go has got up and gone without me. Very frustrating feeling. Only on day 6 so I know things will improve. We've just got to hang in there and be positive.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just remember there are absolutely no benefits of drinking alcohol.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hope your feelin better TTGAL...thats the best thing you can do sometimes, just get up and keep busy, block them thoughts out and stay focused, your doin great :-) xx
Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Being emotional and having ups and downs is part of the package. :-) We've all been there.

Getting to your first meeting is fearful, true, but I promise you will feel better once you do.

In the beginning you may feel that meetings are a bit strange, but you'll find that you are not alone and that many other people have exactly the same feelings that you do or had when they were new.

I promise you'll feel better. I have 8 months now and I enjoy and look forward to my meetings. I can't imagine life without them. The fellowship of AA and working the steps has helped me enormously.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) Great Britain

What is great about London is that there are LOADS of meetings try.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

There will be a full moon on May 4th. It seems to effect us alkies a bit more than the average person, which is effected, too!