Notices

When will I feel better?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When will I feel better?

I'm on Day 5 and I feel physically awful. I can't do much except lie on the sofa and watch tv.

This is my 2nd time round - I had 2.5 years then picked up off and on for a while, leading back to daily drinking and using.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, it usually took me at least that long to be able to leave the house TL...and keep in mind you have a few things going on at once here too....it takes time for mind and body to heal...for some of us that's weeks and months and not days unfortunately.

I hope you'll be one of the speedy recoverers

If you're concerned tho the best thing to do is go back to your Dr, I think

D
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

TL ... the first week is living hell. As long as you are resigned to that reality, it won't be so bad. BUT ... as Dee said, the best thing to do is check in with your doctor. It's hard ... I know ... but being fully honest and telling him/her what your life with alcohol has done to you ... they will be able to give you the full support and medical assistance you need.

Hang in there. So glad you are doing this. It is worth it.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I see my shrink every monday but I only told her two weeks ago that I've been drinking again.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paradox, Humor, Change

TigerLili it two me two weeks and lots of sleep and self love to begin to feel normal again. Be gentle with yourself. Alcoholism is a sickness..
Old 04-28-2012, 10:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In the beginning I felt awful in new and different ways every few days. I think it is a little different for everyone for many reasons. Sometimes In the beginning I thought I'd go mad before it improved. But I didnt.

But, I also felt good in new in different ways, too. And I still do!

This too shall pass if you stick with it. And the memory of how it was at the start will motivate you later to stick with your path. I now actually have gratitude that it was so hard, because it is yet another reason to never go through it again.

Good for you for reaching out!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I didn't really feel right until sometime into my second week. Hang tough, keep hydrated, eat well and try to go for a few walks. A little exercise may help. I know it made me feel a lot better even though it was tough to actually get off my duff.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

There is no doubt the hardest part comes first, but we know it gets better and stays good. Hang in there.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tigerlili, your handle is very familiar. I dont know if i remember you from here or a news group...asd? But please shoot me a message. Maybe we can help each other.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Honestly? It gets better all the time. Hang in there. It's ok to lie around and take care of yourself for a bit if you can. Quitting drinking is a great thing to do - so baby yourself a bit you deserve it.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a few weeks further on than you, and trust me it does get better.
I felt dreadful physically for the first week, then emotionally very up and down for the next fortnight-went from elation to despair to resentment to overwhelming anxiety.
Now I am actually enjoying being sober.
I have suffered from depression and anxiety for years, and now for the first time I wake up clear headed and free of the brain fog.
The issues I had before are still there but drinking made them feel 100% worse.

Keep posting. Hang on in there.
We are all here to help each other along this rocky road xxxx
Old 04-29-2012, 01:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wish I'd kept a diary of how I felt..I remember the first few weeks being hell. And I can't quite remember when it got better but it did. Maybe just a little bit better every day. But I remember I started feeling better a lot sooner than I thought I would.

Stay on that sofa TigerLili You're sick and you need time to get better...exercise would help but if you feel like sleeping just sleep x
Old 04-29-2012, 02:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. It's actually nice to have 'permission' to take care of myself and lie around.

John44 - I only use this name here. I think you have me mixed up with some of the other tiger/lily combination names :-)
Old 04-29-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Thanks everyone. It's actually nice to have 'permission' to take care of myself and lie around.

John44 - I only use this name here. I think you have me mixed up with some of the other tiger/lily combination names :-)
I think i know you from when i lurked here awhile ago. We'll go thru our detox and sobriety together. I wish you well. God bless you.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
So it goes

Tigerlili it does get better, slowly at first but you see the improvements and then suddenly sobriety is like a glorious sunrise
Old 04-29-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I found this from a treatment center in Northern California...They...Like a lot of others recommend AA or NA for aftercare...That's up to you. But they do give a pretty good description of early recovery. All I can say is...It gets better every day.

How the Body Changes During Recovery from Addiction | Azure Acres CA
Old 04-29-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hang in there Tiger,

I can't remember physical withdrawals, mostly mental. I do remember that I placed sobriety at the top of my list and it paid off. Sober 11 months tomorrow, I have no craving for alcohol but I recognize reading this forum that I must keep an eye on it.

Tiger you had a couple of sober years under your belt. What happened?

I find relapse stories instructive.
CaiHong
Old 04-29-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think the "Promises" say it best ..... "Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them".

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Quitter

I'm about a week into this TigerLil...I've been sleeping a lot but feeling a little better each day. I guess my body needs the rest and recovery. Anyway, Hang in there.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For me, the physical symptoms stopped after a few days. But I am still (on day 9) very moody and irritable. I get anxious and very emotional at unexpected times. I'm hoping this will calm down soon.