Notices

Happy Sober Friday To All

Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Friday To All

Usually id be going to work planning a major celebration of the weekend by getting slaughtered...tonight..im planning on finishing work, going for a nice walk, having a nice dinner, followed by a bath and watching my sex and the city boxset (again)! Relatively early night ready for the weekend :-)

Woke up this morning and for a split second...for the first time i could imagine my life without booze...did any of you or have any of you had that feeling, where for a second..the thought of life without alcohol doesnt send you into a blind panic or give you that sinking feeling...again..im not getting complacent, just gonna keep taking each day as it comes.......

every day is a step further away from alcohol :-))))))))

Where ever you are in the world this morning...im sending positive thoughts to you all....stay strong. xxxx
Old 04-26-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by Seasidegirllau View Post
Woke up this morning and for a split second...for the first time i could imagine my life without booze...did any of you or have any of you had that feeling, where for a second..the thought of life without alcohol doesnt send you into a blind panic or give you that sinking feeling...again..im not getting complacent, just gonna keep taking each day as it comes.......
Seaside, thats a great feeling to have, it is very positive

Life without booze, we cant imagine it when we join, but as we progress it becomes enticing and attainable.

Go for it gal!!!! Have a great weekend!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks billy :-) your so right, felt like i had a mountain to climb last week, now i can almost see it...and it feels better than any of my drunken nights...im starting to realise that alcohol does nothing positive for me, my mood has lifted and i feel more positive than i have done in years :-)) have a great weekend too. xx
Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm still very early in recovery (51 days today) but for the first two or three weeks the thought of life without alcohol actually filled me with dread. That's the only word i can think of. My heart felt like it dropped to my feet and i wanted to run away screaming from wherever i was. After the first month i've started viewing alcohol as an allergy. Or like candy to a diabetic. It's simply something i can't have. Sure i could go drink but it's going to do me more harm than good. I try to armor myself with the pride i have in my sobriety, the humbleness i have in my powerlessness against alcohol and the experiences i've heard from my fellow AAers who decided that they were in control enough to moderate.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

The "dread" when contemplating a lifetime of sobriety goes away. It becomes a non issue. Now I think of those thoughts and feelings as being a very real method that the addiction uses to maintain itself.

As for excitement, I now think mundane is very special, and calm is priceless. I have thought recently that I did not experience true joy when drinking, it was excitement and disinhibition.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel very much the same hun, and isn't it fab to be at weekend and not craving a trip to the supermarket to stock up on booze!!:ghug3
(day 17 sober)
Old 04-27-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done SSL and Candie!! What used to fill me with dread (thoughts of life without alcohol) is now my greatest joy. Keep it up, you're doing brilliant!!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all :-) its so helpful listening to all you guys who have managed to get to the stages your at where you really have got control, makes me want to keep kicking alcohols as*!! xx
Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And happy sober Friday to you as well. Day Five (again) for me but I am feeling pretty good about things. A little sleep disturbance/weird dreams/restlessness...but otherwise in a very positive place physically and emotionally.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Second weekend beginning and I'm p*ssed off. My husband has gone for beers and I'm sitting here feeling sorry for myself. Just ate a huge bag of Doritos so he can cook his own dinner tonight. Trying to keep in my mind what I am doing and why I'm doing it, but right now it's a poor consolation. I know I should re-frame my ideas of what constitutes a good time but old habits die hard. It doesn't help when someone who should be supporting you is off boozing....Feeling angry right now. Help!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

seaside - congrats on your ah-ha moment. Gives me hope that one day in the future I'll have mine. I'm still struggling in the purgatory between drinking and sobriety, only on day 3, facing my first sober weekend. I'm still concerned about who I will become. A long journey ahead.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newatthis34 View Post
Second weekend beginning and I'm p*ssed off. My husband has gone for beers and I'm sitting here feeling sorry for myself. Just ate a huge bag of Doritos so he can cook his own dinner tonight. Trying to keep in my mind what I am doing and why I'm doing it, but right now it's a poor consolation. I know I should re-frame my ideas of what constitutes a good time but old habits die hard. It doesn't help when someone who should be supporting you is off boozing....Feeling angry right now. Help!
Look on the brightside.. when he has a hangover tomorrow, you will be fresh as a daisy.. so get up early shove on some great music and make as much noise as you like that should get him back LOL!

Stay strong you are doing the right thing for you, remember all the reason why you have decided not to poison your system anymore.. and if that doesn't work eat cake!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Seaside, thats fantastic to hear! I raise my fruit juice to you and our second sober weekend! Enjoy your evening, Sex in the City is excellent i must get my copy out!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Zak..ive had a few odd dreams too..keep up the good work :-) New..think how good youll feel tomoz knowing you had such a test and got through it without drinkin..xx anotherquitter..sober weekends are so much more relaxing and its nice as you can actually remember them..im no pro yet though, this is my first propper sober weekend as this time last week...i was totally wasted :-//// got my face mask on, have fresh fruit for snacks and herbal tea, got my jim jams on and am happy as larry...who needs grog!!! xxx lets keep fightin this guys xx
Old 04-27-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks TTGAL,

I feel bad now as he came home not long after I wrote that! I've been reading about urge surfing too and the ideas make sense. I am ok again, probably as I'm very tired today so I think I'll go to bed soon and read my book. Might still blare the music in the a.m. though, always helps with the house work chores!! Thanks!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Seasidegirl - That gave me a big smile - to see you so positive. I remember when I couldn't imagine life without drinking to look forward to. Then when I was honest with myself, I realized it had been many years since it was fun. In the end it was nothing but misery, danger, regrets. Once we're convinced of that, it's onward and upward.

Just think - you'll actually remember the weekend & savor it. It won't fly by with you in a fog. It's hard to imagine we once thought it was a necessity & that somehow we were being cheated if we couldn't get wasted. Have a great time!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Hevyn :-) thats what im looking forward to the most..not getting to sunday being filled with regret that ive wasted another weekend in a foggy hungover and drunken mess. Just cant believe ive wasted so much of my life drinking...no regrets though hey..lifes too short for them...:-))) have a great weekend xxx
Old 04-27-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's how I started drinking on Mondays - & then every day in the end. I couldn't face the sobering up. How sick. This will never happen to you.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

:-) thankyou xx i was starting to drink most nights and when i wasnt..i was obsessing about it!!! It wasnt just the actual drinking..it was the way it was consuming my thoughts..i was losing my ambitions and my interests caus all that mattered was wine or beer..how sad..never again though...this girls staying sober ;-)