Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What are some of your hobbies and & how do you enjoy spending your time?

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wondering what you all find you like to do to keep your mind busy while fighting the beast?

I've found now that my head is becoming less foggy I have much more time on my hands. I'm entertaining the thought of getting a motorcycle. I read much more and have begun writing a lot. I watch far less TV...I'm cleaning out all the junk in my garage, making charity donations, painting, and adding lights so i have a nice place to work on the projects I've always wanted to do, but was too drunk or hungover before I decided on this path....what about you?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Definitely am reading a lot more. I love to read and that was one of the things I definitely couldn't do while I was drunk all the time.
Also writing. I love to write and blog.
I have been exercising more and going for walks which helps clear my head and I feel better after doing it. I spend more time with the boyfriend instead of fighting about my drinking.
I have also been cooking a lot more and trying new recipes out.

I'm also able to take care of myself and others around me. I don't go to bed, passed out with a full face of makeup on...I take the time now to take care of my body and skin and such.

I still have lots to do...many ideas to fill my time up in the future as well.
But this is what I have been doing so far.
I have actually even thought about studying for my driver's test and taking online courses.

I am also learning Italian.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I exercise more, read a lot, joined a sports team. I See my family more often. Taking a class to get my motorcycle endorsement and hopefully get a bike soon. Hiking, driving, traveling. Putting the pieces back together from the damage I did while partying. I have no idea how I ever found time to drink. Life is a full time job without alcohol!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I definitely read each night to get some new information in my mind to mull over, to teach myself something. I find that when I combine this with also having done something physically productive - cleaning a room, painting a room, getting some exercise - if I combine mental activities with a productive physical activities during the day, it gives me more peace when I try to go to sleep. More peace for me means less anxiety and therefore less impulse to dampen my anxiety with drink.

and reading these posts has really helped me as well.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Once my head cleared, I liked reading again, I'm a girl so I also like hand crafts and it's relaxing for me.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I like to read and i love cooking. I like to plan dinner for me and my husband and make a mini event out of it. When the weeken gets close, i try to plan things for us to do outside of the house. I also enjoy riding my bike and doing general cleaning around the house. I really look forward to getting a job so that can occupy a lot of my down time during the week.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been really busy with work, but my weekends have been great. I've been seeing much more of my little niece and nephew, and most of my Saturday is probably taken up with them and my brother, then my husband when he gets home.

My niece is six, and we have 'girly time' every Saturday when I take her away from the boys and we have reading lessons in a different place each week - from the library to Tescos where she decoded everything from nutmeg to sauerkraut (okay, with a bit of help) - the museum tomorrow. I never ever had the energy for stuff like that on a fricken Saturday morning before. Beautiful. And her reading is flying along. We've already got plans for her brother in about a year.

I'm changing jobs in a couple of months and I'll have way more time at home; when I was first quitting the thought of time on my hands really scared me - now I can't wait. I've got plans and they don't involve booze!

Bayliss, Italian, huh? Nice...

xxx
Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Bayliss, Italian, huh? Nice...

xxx
Yes ma'am! I'm bilingual already - thought "what the heck, let's add another one in there"...and I have an obsession with Italy.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
...and I have an obsession with Italy.
Same here! I am also starting to learn Italian...finding it hard to fit in everyday with work though. May do some this weekend! Going to Italy end of year, can't wait!!!