Notices

advice for sleep

Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

advice for sleep

I thought i'd start this thread for anyone who has advice for those of us out there having a tough time sleeping.

Turn off the TV and put that phone away! Give your mind a little down time. I know it's racing but try to focus on your breath or imagine waves crashing on the ocean. The stimulation of the TV or phone aren't helping.

Take 5mg of melatonin.

Valarian root can help. You can get it at a health food store. It smells awful but it is known as a sleep aid. If you have cats, hide it well. It has a catnip-like effect on them. One of my cats learned how to open my valarian root bottle. Valarian root can also be found in Sleepytime EXTRA tea by Celestial Seasonings. Only the "Extra" has the valarian root. Regular Sleepytime, while delicious, does not.

OTC sleep aids or Benadryl. Just no Benadryl with headache relief. A recovering liver doesn't need to be exposed to that acetaminophin. Be warned, the active ingredient in Benadryl can actually make some people hyper so this may be counter productive.

Turn the temp down. Don't sleep in a stuffy room. A temperature around 71 or a little cooler is good.

Personally, i made a supreme effort to stop worrying about everything i had to do the next day. I made falling asleep my one and only priority. Alarm set, eyes closed. No worrying about what i was going to wear, if there was gas in the car, would i have time for lunch, nothing. Tomorrow will sort itself out. Tonight is for sleep.

I hope this helps someone. I'd love to hear other people's advice.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a problem sleeping since I was diagnosed with PTSD after two armed robberies at work, the second when I was pistol whipped and later found out the same kid (he was 14) killed 3 adults, a child and a dog.

I've worked with my doctors. The one I had, left the practice and I ended up with another doctor. I take 3 prescription meds, as well as OTC melatonin/valerian/etc. meds to get to sleep. I've talked with my dr., and am going to try something else (an anti-d that deals with anxiety). I can't afford therapy, so I am stuck, right now. I'm a night-owl, always have been, but need to get up earlier for my job.

I totally agree that not worrying about things would help me, but I'm dealing with a lot of stuff...living with a family that is totally dysfunctionaly (addiction and enabling), worrying about school (I have an A in 4 classes, but that may not last).

I've been honest with mr Dr., I do want to find a solution, but sometimes it's not that simple. All I know is that I don't want to depend on meds to get to sleep. I'm trying, but as of now, it's not working.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Anything but sleeping pills, IMO. No need to swap one addiction for another.

I always like the old white noise machine, when I'm having a particularly hard time sleeping. Also reading in bed often makes me dopey.

Where's that tips for falling asleep thread? Isn't there a big one around here somewhere?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

My psych put me on Seroquel for sleep. I had been on it in the past for bipolar but the theraputic dose throughout the day made me a zombie. Now (ironically) the low dose, off label use as a sleep aid along with the valarian and melatonin does the trick!

Another sleep suggestion: warm milk. I read somewhere that it does help with sleep.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We have a forum just for sleep issues:

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 04-27-2012, 12:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
I thought i'd start this thread for anyone who has advice for those of us out there having a tough time sleeping.

Turn off the TV and put that phone away! Give your mind a little down time. I know it's racing but try to focus on your breath or imagine waves crashing on the ocean. The stimulation of the TV or phone aren't helping.

Take 5mg of melatonin.

Valarian root can help. You can get it at a health food store. It smells awful but it is known as a sleep aid. If you have cats, hide it well. It has a catnip-like effect on them. One of my cats learned how to open my valarian root bottle. Valarian root can also be found in Sleepytime EXTRA tea by Celestial Seasonings. Only the "Extra" has the valarian root. Regular Sleepytime, while delicious, does not.

OTC sleep aids or Benadryl. Just no Benadryl with headache relief. A recovering liver doesn't need to be exposed to that acetaminophin. Be warned, the active ingredient in Benadryl can actually make some people hyper so this may be counter productive.

Turn the temp down. Don't sleep in a stuffy room. A temperature around 71 or a little cooler is good.

Personally, i made a supreme effort to stop worrying about everything i had to do the next day. I made falling asleep my one and only priority. Alarm set, eyes closed. No worrying about what i was going to wear, if there was gas in the car, would i have time for lunch, nothing. Tomorrow will sort itself out. Tonight is for sleep.

I hope this helps someone. I'd love to hear other people's advice.
Kind of disagree with all of this Iam real sorry.

I was a chronic bad sleeper addicted to sleep tabs for over 18 months, and it was things like this that created even more fear of NOT sleeping.

Only after a bit of congenital therapy did I realise.

Firstly, you have to not care if you DO NOT sleep, you WILL still function, albeit a bit groggy, thats the worst you will feel, feeling groggy is not life threatening . Just Do not drink alcohell and do not worry about sleep whatsoever, 99% of Doctors etc just churn out the same ole BS about sleep debt and how much sleep the average person needs etc .

I would suggest.

No alcohell, ever.

No sleep meds of any kind , ever.

Do not worry if you sleep or not, just get up and force yourself to carry on as normal.

have a great day everyone.

Oh and Btw at 106 days sober, I have gone from a truly despairing bad sleeper, to someone who can sleep solid deep sleep for 5/6 hours without waking. If I drink again, this would be gone.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Darkdays))) - I understand what you're saying, but lack of sleep (for me) puts me in a really bad depression/funk and that's just not a good place to be as an RA. I will work with my dr. as I've told her my history.

Considering that it's almsot 4a.m. and I need to get up at 8, not good thing..especially when I have 4 assignments due for shool.

I truly don't want to be on ANYTHING for sleep, but what I go through when I don't sleep? Really not good, so will continue to work with my dr

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Impurrfect ! I was the same , in fear at 4am knowing that work would be calling 3 hours later, I remember popping my 3rd sleeping tablet in the middle of the night and feeling like a zombie for days ( mainly due to sleep meds and not actual lack of sleep). I am just trying to say that you have to be careful with sleep meds, they in my really honest opinion just prolong the agony. Not preaching to anyone at all, everyone does their own thing and I really wish you ALL the best !
Old 04-27-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really appreciate all the great tips on here! Whether somebody chooses to take a supplement or medicine is entirely up to them, but these environmental and behavioral tips are super. Spot on with getting away from TV and phone (and computer) at least an hour before bedtime, sleeping in a somewhat cool room and relaxed mindset. For me these have worked wonders.

The earliest weeks of not drinking were the hardest on my sleep patterns, hoping it gets easier for everyone else here too!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been taking Seroquel for a few years, I've had trouble sleeping for a number of years. I am able to take naps without it, I know I can sleep without it. However I would be up till 5am every night and I would sleep into the afternoon or not sleep at all. That's just not productive for me right now. I don't feel like a zombie when I get up, I feel fine. My Mother, and my Brother both take Seroquel too.

I understand that people don't agree with it, personally I don't see the issue unless you have problems abusing it. For me its treating an issue I have with sleeping to improve my quality of life. Like Impurrfect, I don't want to be on anything but right now I've got to function. I do plan to stop taking it at some point.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Hi Impurrfect ! I was the same , in fear at 4am knowing that work would be calling 3 hours later, I remember popping my 3rd sleeping tablet in the middle of the night and feeling like a zombie for days ( mainly due to sleep meds and not actual lack of sleep). I am just trying to say that you have to be careful with sleep meds, they in my really honest opinion just prolong the agony. Not preaching to anyone at all, everyone does their own thing and I really wish you ALL the best !
Not to put you on the spot but what were you taking? Sounds like you abused something that did not work for you. I understand your opinion, but at the same time it doesn't apply to everyone. There's gotta be people out there that have serious sleeping problems that need to be medicated. Your experience doesn't apply to everyone, and I say that with total respect for your opinion/experience.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please remember that we cannot give any kind of medical information.

It's always best to talk to your dr.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I awaken with my mind racing and can't get back to sleep I've just started a type of zen meditation. I have found I can consciously push the disturbing thoughts out of my mind. It's hard to describe, but I kind of think of it as my mind physically pushing it out of my head. In it's place I concentrate on breathing or an outside sound (ocean/fan/etc.). I know this sounds weird but it's worked for me the past couple of nights.