Notices

Advice

Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Advice

Because I was in the er on Tuesday they moved up my dr appt to this upcoming Wednesday From the following tuesday
I've been to many appt with different drs bit have miserably failed at finding someone good that I like partially because I was defensive
I feel like an open book now and would like to have any advice of what to ask or expect at this primary care appt !?
Starting to feel excited but super anxious!!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Zee

Being honest is the key... definately! Without a doubt!
Be that open book... what have you got to loose! When I go to the doctors and hospital appointments (and I have been to quite a few recently!) I blurt out everything... I pin them down... ask them questions, take notes, record the appointment on my phone if allowed I have often been asked to hurry up ha ha! I also have anxiety and panic attacks, I really feel for you on that one! I had an ultrasound today and although my liver looks better than before, they casually dropped in the fact that I have about 7 small gallstones! They have never given me any problems, nor do I expect them to... Well, I have another doctors appointment next wednesday to discuss! (My poor, over worked doctor lol)! Keep the excited and ditch the anxious. Being listened to and looked after is a wonderful feeling, and if you are anything like me... once the denial of drinking has gone, all the rest can be taken on the chin quite easily. You will be just fine! xxx
Old 04-26-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah...Just tell the truth...They can't fix you if they don't know exactly what the problem is....The more they know the better.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My mom always taught me to make a list of things I want to tell the doctor/things I want to ask the doctor so you eliminate the frustration of being in the car on the way home and remembering something you wanted to say/ask. I also agree with everyone when they say to be honest. Even if something seems not important to you it could be valuable information for the doctor.

Don't be anxious the doctor is there to help you

* Adalie
Old 04-26-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I got the whole being honest thing stuck in my head...I was just wondering if there was any quirky not obvious things to think of
Old 04-26-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ask him/her what they recommend for a recovery program. Just ask him/her what their patients have had the most success with. And then try it out.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Zee

Once you start talking to the doctor, he/she may ask you something that you hadn't thought of. I have often found that. You end up thinking 'oh yeah, thats why I was feeling like that'. I agree about writing a list as well, any thoughts, feelings, pains, twinges. My lists are always long and I have been a 'regular' at my doctors for a while, I now just hand him my list!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sapling I'm not asking my primary care dr about a program...saving that for my shrink...
Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anewlife4me11 View Post
Sapling I'm not asking my primary care dr about a program...saving that for my shrink...
I didn't have all those perks...I got my advice from a counsellor in rehab.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

:-)