Notices

taking it from a new angle. day 5.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
01/28/2017

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Did you seek medical attention for depression and anxiety when you were sober for four and half years? or is this something that you are addressing since you relapsed? Because I found the depression and anxiety my doctor wanted to medicate me for...Was no longer a problem for me when I removed the alcohol from my life. Anyway...I hope you find something that works for you...That's all that counts.
no, but i probably should have. i have always been a very shy and introverted person. i had sober roommates and i worked with sober people, but i never really had that many friends(sober or otherwise). getting sober did not relieve my social anxiety, generally i went to work and then came home and hung out with my roommates(if they were home). otherwise i would spend my time online or doing hobbies. since i was a kid i have always had trouble reaching out and making new relationships. i have always had self confidence and self esteem issues, they did not go away after i took the booze away and did the steps. i have also always had sleeping issues, probably one of the biggest reasons i drank.

i have been dying for a social life for years. i have never really had one. i have also had very few relationships with women, most of them only happened due to alcohol. being sober(and yes, more than a year) i had no idea how to talk to women. right now i live alone and spend most of my time with my family. i have a select few friends i could call up and they would be glad to talk to me, but i always tend to avoid that phone call for whatever reason.

i want to get out there and start enjoying life and all it has to offer. and while taking alcohol away is a huge part of doing that, there are definitely some other aspects that are holding me back. i also am considering talking to a therapist, but i have to see how much that would cost(medical service is free here, but i don't think therapy is).

anyways, it is now day 6 without booze. i did not take anything to help me sleep last night and had a pretty good night, i am so relieved and i feel pretty good. now to get on with the day.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wish you the best jv369...You should pick up that phone and call one of those friends..You never know..They may just be sitting there wondering what to do this weekend. Take care of yourself.