Notices

Day Two: Afternoon

Old 04-26-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sweats today, and co-worker told me I look like crap. They of course don't know what I'm going through. Hands are still a little shaky, and I can still feel my liver. I'm less anxious than I was yesterday, but I know it will increase during the time I normally drink, in the evening. I'm also a little more emotional today.

My pastor knows what's going on, and called to check up on me. Another friend that knows texted me to check in as well. That meant a lot. I had a miserable time sleeping last night. I will try a natural sleep aid called Melatonin tonight to see if it helps.

I think of all of you who have gone before me, who are supporting those of us that are living this hell now and I'm so grateful that you, and this resource is here. Thank you for your support, and for caring.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2 too.

Last night when my mind was racing and I couldn't sleep I tried some Zen meditation techniques. Whenever something is racing in your mind you mentally "push it out" to clear your mind, and then instead focus on your breathing, or the sound of the fan, or in my case ocean. It was tough at first, but helped me get back to sleep - more than once!

Hang in there - We will survive this.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself time to normalize after detoxing. It will take time but things will get better, I promise.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA meetings?

Bob R
Old 04-26-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making the decision to quit.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day 2 DIF...I hope you'll feel better tomorrow

D
Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
So it goes

Drowninginfl, anotherquitter, hang in there. The first days are hard, I hammered SR and got lots of support and help. I am 3 months today, when I was like you, that seemed miles off, but now it just seems normal to be sober

It does and will get better

Keep here
Billy
Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah keep on going.
John
Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It does get better drowninginfl...the first week is the toughest..hang in there x
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! The sweats have subsided and my liver is hurting less. I am looking forward to a weekend with my 7 year old son where I don't want to lay about and nap til 11 before starting my day. He deserves more than that, and so do I.

Not doing AA meetings, read some of the AVRT literature, but reading the posts here by both successful and those still struggling is giving me the sense of belonging and stregnth in numbers.

I am reading again instead of laying about on the couch in front of the TV. The mountain of laundry that I was always too drunk to do gets tackled this weekend. My head is in a good place. If I can actually sleep tonight I think I'll be in good shape for tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It seems we say the same things over & over, but they are true. It will get a little better each day, and you never have to go through this again once it's ended. Those are encouraging thoughts to cling to.

I know your son will appreciate having your full attention . You'll feel so good to get that laundry handled. I'm happy you feel so positive.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Melatonin has helped me out during sober time, but whenever I seemed to use it coming off of alcohol it was rather ineffective. I've never had any bad side effects from it, though. Hopefully it works for you. I'd caution you to stay away from anything more powerful, even OTC sleeping aids. While detoxing I was on a sleeping aid which proved ineffective and led to horrible visual and audio hallucinations.

Congrats on you decision to get clean!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are going strong...after the first few days you will feel better I promise. I take melatonin too but it never had a chance against the detox anxiety I had so just know that is a possibility. Also melatonin caused me to have nausea if I took it for three days in a row. I still take it but only here and there....keep going, nobody knows the hell you are in...after I did detox I got many compliments on how good, rested and happy I looked from my officemates...There is a positive I promise!