Notices

Hi...new girl here

Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi...new girl here

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I am a 25 yr old graduate student and I cant seem to stop drinking. The truth is, the only reason I'm in grad school is because I dont think I could hold down a job right now. I know that sounds awful, but its true. My drinking has become progressively worse over the past few years, but I managed to graduate university and be accepted into a grad program, I have no idea how I managed to do either. Everything else in my life is falling apart. My relationships are in shambles and I cant concentrate on anything other than when I can have my next drink. I know I havent hit rock bottom yet, only because I am fortunate enough to have a 'sugar daddy' who supports me financially. But I feel myself slipping away and it scares me. I scare myself.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Everyone's rock bottom is different. I didn't have any DUI's, or financial issues, or end up homeless, before I came to admit to myself that I had a drinking problem. You choose your own bottom. The good news is with the right program and lots of support you can beat this addiction to alcohol. You've taken the first step. Then next is a big one. Stop drinking today.

I'm only on day 2. You are among like minds here.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome :-) I was the same as you, hadnt quite hit rock bottom..but was sinking big time!! Booze rules my life, i was consumed by it..planning my next sesh was my main priority! This place is great for making you realise your problems and knowing you aint alone :-) xx
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tuesday! Welcome to SR There is a lot of support here, so stick around. As for drinking, it is a progressive disease. It only gets worse, it doesn't get better. Sounds like you have some time to stop and repair the damage already done before it is irreparable.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Tuesday...I am just a year older than you and totally understand where you are coming from. Only on Day 7 here, but have already realised that when you stop drinking, you are allowing yourself the time to deal with the issues that need to be dealt with. If you are anything like me, there are probably a thousand issues you have swept under the carpet that need to be addressed....I have many!!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tuesdaysgone View Post
Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I am a 25 yr old graduate student and I cant seem to stop drinking. The truth is, the only reason I'm in grad school is because I dont think I could hold down a job right now. I know that sounds awful, but its true. My drinking has become progressively worse over the past few years, but I managed to graduate university and be accepted into a grad program, I have no idea how I managed to do either. Everything else in my life is falling apart. My relationships are in shambles and I cant concentrate on anything other than when I can have my next drink. I know I havent hit rock bottom yet, only because I am fortunate enough to have a 'sugar daddy' who supports me financially. But I feel myself slipping away and it scares me. I scare myself.
You sound like me 50 yrs ago. I didn't go to University because I know I would fail and it would be a waste of money. I went to work building cars at Chrysler.

I found sobriety and sanity (relative) in the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous. It might just be the ticket for you.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey hun and welcome to SR

I know you haven't hit bottom yet, but you are tumbling. From what you say, it sounds like you're already past high-functioning and falling fast. Stick around here and do some reading. Quitting sounds way scarier than it actually is - there are hundreds of people here who will show you that. Oh, me included

Get on board dude - we'll help you through it xxx
Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Tuesdaysgone, your situation sounds strikingly similar to mine, in terms of age and being a recent graduate. University was a downward spiral for me, glad it finished when it did.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR tuesdaysgone

You don't have to hit rock bottom (whatever that may be) to quit drinking. This is a perfect time to do it before you are employed. You'll get lots of support here x
Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
So it goes

Hi Tuesday, welcome to SR, here can help you to recover and lead a sober life

Sober is fun

You are right to get out before you hit rock bottom, but remember alcohol will tempt you back with promises of fun, but worse and worse rock bottoms

Don't let that happen
Old 04-26-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR tuesdaysgone - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Tuesday

Welcome and trust that we all know how you are feeling and have been where you are right now. I can only told you what I have found and how I found it, thought I would never say this but just like 2granddaughters said, I found my sobriety in the fellowship of AA and for that I am eternally grateful. I have tried everything else, thinking I could do this on my own but until I really gave up it did not work. Stick around with us, there is so much to learn here from amazing people....