Notices

Question about AA

Old 04-25-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ph3314 View Post
Anyway, I felt welcomed immediately, even though I did look around and think I was at some kind of old man's club.
HAHAHA.

Wait until the members of said "old man's club" start trying to teach ya' a lesson..........sonny!

Because believe me, you'll get plenty of that. And quite frankly, I think it's because a lot of them wish they had come when they were younger.

For instance: Not too long ago, a kid fresh out of detox I met asked me if he belonged at the AA meeting I was attending. Baffled, I asked him why he thought he wouldn't be welcome. His response:

"Well people here are telling me I should go to NA, but I went there, and was getting high with people at the meetings."

My response:

"Did you drink?"
Him:"Yes."
Me:"Did you drink alcoholically?"
Him:"Yeah..........I think so."
Me:"Do you have a desire to stop drinking?"
Him:"Yes."
Me:"Well, I think you belong here just as much as anyone else here, no matter what these old geezers have to say. So come on in!"

And I haven't seen him at a meeting since. He's probably scared to come to meetings now, do to the "welcome" he received from this pretentious stuck up morons. (I'm sorry, but that's EXACTLY what these people are.)

So much for the AA responsibility pledge, which in case these people have forgotten reads: "I am Responsible. When Anyone, Anywhere Reaches Out For Help, I Want The Hand Of A.A.To Always Be There. And For That,I Am Responsible!"

Seems to me, that a lot of these old-timers have lost sight of where they came from. And for my money, AA's "singleness of purpose" can take a backseat to what I feel AA is truly all about: People helping people. Nothing more, nothing less.

So the purists can stick it as far as I'm concerned.

So how is this relevant to this discussion? Simple: You're likely to encounter these types of people at AA meetings, so be forewarned. Not everything (or everyone) in AA is a bowl of cherries.

What matters IMO, is what YOU bring to the table. And I sure hope it isn't this sorta' negativity.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Squizz View Post
Me:"Well, I think you belong here just as much as anyone else here, no matter what these old geezers have to say. So come on in!"

And I haven't seen him at a meeting since. He's probably scared to come to meetings now, do to the "welcome" he received from this pretentious stuck up morons. (I'm sorry, but that's EXACTLY what these people are.)

So much for the AA responsibility pledge, which in case these people have forgotten reads: "I am Responsible. When Anyone, Anywhere Reaches Out For Help, I Want The Hand Of A.A.To Always Be There. And For That,I Am Responsible!"

Seems to me, that a lot of these old-timers have lost sight of where they came from. And for my money, AA's "singleness of purpose" can take a backseat to what I feel AA is truly all about: People helping people. Nothing more, nothing less.

So the purists can stick it as far as I'm concerned.

So how is this relevant to this discussion? Simple: You're likely to encounter these types of people at AA meetings, so be forewarned. Not everything (or everyone) in AA is a bowl of cherries.

What matters IMO, is what YOU bring to the table. And I sure hope it isn't this sorta' negativity.
You might run into some AA chuckleheads...Old and young. Maybe I was lucky...But the oldtimers I met would've given me the shirt off their back to help me save my life.....There are a lot of oldtimers in AA that are pure gold in my book. Look for them.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
~sb

AA really works well when we are done drinking. Seriously done.

Mention you are a newcomer or new to a meeting, many people are regulars and we know who is new and who isn't, and hopefully you went early enough for someone to greet you and to talk with you before the meeting began.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I attended my first meeting last night. All I can say to anyone considering it is just do it. You will find people of like mind who have come to admit that they are powerless over alcohol (and/or drugs) and gather to work the steps and find comon support and fellowship.

I was given a lot of credit for having the courage to walk through the door. Everyone was very supportive. Just get yourself to a meeting.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Gordano,

Let us know how your first AA meeting goes.

Congrats anotherquitter for having the courage to go to your first AA meeting and thanks for sharing your success in doing that.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Did you go to the meeting Gordano? Sure hope so.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anotherquitter View Post
I attended my first meeting last night. All I can say to anyone considering it is just do it. You will find people of like mind who have come to admit that they are powerless over alcohol (and/or drugs) and gather to work the steps and find comon support and fellowship.

I was given a lot of credit for having the courage to walk through the door. Everyone was very supportive. Just get yourself to a meeting.
I give you a lot of credit for that...And I'm glad you got to see how it works...It does work....If you work it.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I don't want to offend anyone, but I really have to believe in something before I can commit 100 percent.
Heh......sounds familiar!!!

You'll find, amazingly enough, you actually CAN commit to something you DON'T believe in.......and it still works. LOL. It took me a while to be convinced AA would work FOR ME. I could see it worked......but for me???

One of the things you'll be challenged to do (challenged by yourself really.....not necessarily just challenged by AA members) is to do what we've done even though you'll be 100% convinced it's a waste of time, won't help, and will probably turn out negatively.

--on a side note, If someone said they can't wait to go to their first AA meeting.......or having gone said they can't wait to do all the steps completely......or that they could easily see how doing a 4-column inventory of resentments will foster and deepen feelings of peace and serenity................ I think I'd faint.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Gordano... I'd really advise going to meetings. I have social anxiety, but going to AA meetings has been good.

Not every meeting is perfect, but that's like real life. I've had some really not good AA meetings, one memorable time some old timer said "I don't give a f**k about the newcomers" when talking about himself. Then a woman talked back about how she was sick of all the bitter oldtimers being so pious. I wanted to run for the hills. And other stuff not worth mentioning.

But generally I've had great support. I just wanted to mention in the above in case you get a not good experience, just move to the next meeting if that's the case (and it's been the v. rare exception, and I've got something out of just about every meeting). One older guy was friendly to me now and then. But one time when he did his speaking I really identified with it (he talked a lot about nerves and his own social anxiety, though you'd never guess he used to have social anxiety, he was so articuate). I shared back and he was lovely to me afterwards, really put me at ease saying how it gets better, everyone feels a bit like that.

Another guy was telling me to get the Big book how it's the gift that keeps on giving... he could see me literally running away as I'm holding back on reading it and doing the steps... but I will do it.

Everyone feels nervous to start with. I know what it's like with social anxiety though, just don't give up. I've met some nice, supportive people.

[EDIT] I meant to add. The reason I originally decided to go to AA meetings is because of my social anxiety. Sounds strange but I knew I had a tiny chance of being able to stop drinking on my own... but I knew that with my social anxiety I'd isolate, become depressed and ill. Sounded a lousy way to get sober. So that's what keeps me there even if I question things internally. I knew it would be good for me to get out of my myself and hear other's experiences. One day I should start putting something back though with others at meetings.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

That's awesome regeneration...Openmindedness will take you far in AA....It will change your life. You have a great attitude.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Get that book and study it.

Or read it here.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 04-26-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I've had great experiences at AA mtgs. Not really any bad ones. I try to share almost every time, letting them know how long I've been sober and telling them I'm new to their mtg if I am, and telling them where my home group is. As a result I've had a lot of men and women approach me with their business card or phone number and talk with me a bit. It's really nice. And just when I think that I won't hear anything that touches me, someone talks and it's as if they are talking directly to me or about me. I do think it's like anything else new, you have to expose yourself to it a few times to become comfortable.