Notices

Day 3 Tapering

Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 Tapering

Had a pretty good sleep last night. Woke up a couple of times which is normal for me. A few vivid dreams in the morning too, again normal.

Yet, I felt a bit bored today and realize I need to get more active to keep busy. I noticed an increase in energy today and could have interpreted that as bit of anxiety but instead used that as a good sign and the need to be active! I ended up going for a run but ended up walking as it was too hot out mid-day. Played online games, read, facebook, not productive really or inspiring so I need to change that.

Day 2 I ended up drinking 3.5 drinks, less than planned! And today my goal was 3 which is where I've stopped for tonight (at 6:18pm my time). I actually felt a bit flushed so that was uncomfortable and was helpful for me stopping at that point. I didn't know if I'd be able to meet that goal as I was in my head a bit today and bored (its obviously a big trigger for me). Had that voice saying...who cares, 4 is still ok! And after reading forums here with people's withdrawals and reactions got me worried again. So perhaps its better to actually spend less time doing so!

I'm on track and have more in the house but not feeling like I have to or need to drink anymore. That's it for today! I think I'll now go down to our building gym and workout! Now there is an idea and even a dip in the pool.

Thanks for everyone's help and understanding although I know many of you don't agree with my approach.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mate I'm with you!
I don't feel I need AA nor do I need it bashed down my throat lol, the advise is appreciated
But for me I don't feel I need it.
I go to work everyday just got into a bad habit in the evening.
I can't and don't want medication as I need to operate in the day at work etc.
I too had a few strange dreams but like you have the most energy since decrease today.
Glad it's working for you, keep up the good work!
Sorry if I'm jacking your thread but can relate to your approach, and the fact people have said us alkies won't go doctor AA etc has given me a boost to quit my way so thank you
Old 04-25-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deanlad1980 View Post
Sorry if I'm jacking your thread but can relate to your approach, and the fact people have said us alkies won't go doctor AA etc has given me a boost to quit my way so thank you
I don't think people recommend going to doctors or AA meetings because they want to see you fail. Maybe they just do it because it's a safe thing for you to do and it's a program that works for so many. I wish you all the luck in the world with your way. Just don't hurt yourselves. This ain't a fricken game.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry what I'm saying is coming across the wrong way I appreciate all advise that's why I'm here.
Sorry will start own thread and good luck
Old 04-25-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stay the course DeanLad! I'm all for people taking personal responsibility so whatever will work for you do that. It's our choice to drink and our choice to stop. Staying positive is key as well so don't let people get you down.

It's morning of day 4 for me and would have loooved to have slept in alot longer. Worked out last night for about 40 mins. Although I wasn't going to drink I was bored. I feel peaceful and focused today.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm really happy it's working for you, Chakaido! Boredom is really common at first but I think part of it is that we're just not used to having to think about what we want to do. Sounds like you have some good options, though.

Good luck on the rest of the week!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I'm glad you are finding success in your own way. Keep it up!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 5 Tapering--
Not tapering as quickly as I'd like to but down to 3, so feeling good about that! Keeping busy, exercising, reading and will treat myself to a spa weekend which should help further with detox. :-)
Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just read your past posts. I was drinking an average of 5-6 a night and quit cold turkey a week ago. The only physical withdrawal symptoms I've experienced were some very mild headaches the nights of days 2 and 3 (Advil helped.) This was similar to my experience when I went 8 months sober in the past.

I'm not a doctor, but honestly, I don't think withdrawal should be a major concern at the level of 4-5 drinks per day. Sorry if I'm being blunt and/or offering unsolicited advice. I guess my point is, if you want to taper more quickly, and/or quit, and your only concern is safety, I really don't think it's unsafe.

Just my opinion

ETA: I know others suggested seeing a doctor and I certainly don't think that's a bad idea either. Hope no one interprets this post as medical advice, it's not, just my experience.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi again
Hope things are working your end?
I've not touched a drop for 2 days now got down to 2 beers per night and thought what's the point?
Sleeping ok need 8 hours really but getting 7.
Now your down to 3 drinks maybe less now probably be easier for you to kick it full stop, the reason I say this is once I was down to 2 I found myself wanting another.
Tonight (Friday) is the biggest test for me, I need to work on my jeep so will lock myself in garage and get the spammers out lol
Good luck, wishing you well
Old 04-28-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Sober and Dean--
What's making it a little challenging is my 'monthly pain' cycle. A bit of alcohol actually helps as I don't like to take pills. I know its silly! An emotional time too as I'm in transition again moving back home/my country of origin. Lots of planning. Yes, all excuses!

Sober-- Its more of a psychological thing for me (I believe) and has always been. A ritual to shift my mood, but I need a better way to do that. Kept to program tonight though, so will keep moving forward tomorrow.

Dean --good for you staying focused. What's working for you? Keep at it!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 7 tapering --Well I'm at 3/day and that's where its been for the last few days. Still cut down significantly, but needing support to deal with the habit of the mind parts. I really don't need it or have a strong desire, but do as a default action. Will look into counselling.

I'm happy about making this change though and being more conscious about it. Its heading in the right direction :-)
Old 04-30-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

3 beers a day is more than the suggested daily intake for a male or a female. Why not get to 1 and start going to AA, get a sponsor and work the steps to take a look at why you are doing what you do to yourself and start healing from your alcoholism? It's amazing what you will learn about yourself!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Chakaido View Post
Day 7 tapering --Well I'm at 3/day and that's where its been for the last few days. Still cut down significantly, but needing support to deal with the habit of the mind parts. I really don't need it or have a strong desire, but do as a default action. Will look into counselling.

I'm happy about making this change though and being more conscious about it. Its heading in the right direction :-)
You may find you're an alcoholic and thought it seems like you can and/or should be able to, you simply "can't" quit entirely. You may also find that "not drinking" you begins to feel worse (inside) than drinking you did. Hopefully neither of those happen but if they do, I'd highly suggest you look into AA.

Good luck with your plan though. Sooner or later though you're going to have to face what your drinking future will be and either make that happen OR see out some alternatives (like AA).