Notices

Help me please. I don't know what to do.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me please. I don't know what to do.

Ok, this is a long one. Lets start off with my family. My mom is a raging alcoholic and has been drunk for most of my childhood ( I'm 14 almost 15, she started when I was around 8). Since then my brother and sister, who took care of me moved out, my dad's jobs picked up, and he travels so I never see him, and they just split. So lately I've been getting into some trouble, but I was doing a lot better. I smoke pot (as do my brother and dad for medicinal purposes) but, I don't go selling and thinking im cool for doing it. I just do it to relieve my stress. But I did something really, really dumb. My friend (whos also my age) said he had a car, and asked if he wanted to pick me up. I said I don't know but he said I'll be back in 30 mins, so I said ok. Of course, we got pulled over. There was beer in his dad's car and he had weed on him so now I'm being charged with MIP Alcohol, Marijuana and Curfew Violation. The night the officer came to the door and told my mom, she was drunk, and now doesn't remember. My dad is the one person in the world that I care of his opinion, and I really wanted to show him i was trying. I have to tell my mom I have to go to court but If my dad finds out I'm done....... really suicide or running away. I've been trying so hard and things are so difficult now I dont know what to do. Please help me.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jared - welcome

I know it's scary to confess all but maybe you're selling your dad a little short?...I know if my son was going to court, I'd want to know about it - and I'd want to help, too.

You'll find a lot of support and understanding here - I hope you'll find the same from your Dad too - it sounds like you have a good relationship?

It's not fun dealing with the consequences of bad decisions, but try not to make it bigger than it is either - you won't feel this uncomfortable forever...and in fact coming clean can be the start of dealing with all this and putting it behind you

Maybe all this is a good chance to think about what you want from life and where you really want to be in 5, 10 years time?

D
Old 04-24-2012, 01:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Your Dad was once a teenager also, and I'm quite sure he made a few mistakes himself before becoming an adult. Sure, he's likely to be upset when he first hears of this, but what you tell him, and what you do afterwards is going to make all the difference.

I would consider calling him and telling him. Let him know you have some bad news to tell him before you tell him what it is. Tell him you know you made some very bad decisions and that you are sorry for disappointing him. If my son called and told me like that it would be the easiest way for me to get the news.

The fact that you care so much about what he thinks says to me that he is probably a pretty good guy. It also tells me you’re not such a bad guy yourself. Make it as easy on both of you as you can.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Jared...Welcome to SR....First thing is...Don't overthink this...You made a mistake,,,,,You didn't rob any bank....You didn't run somebody over with the car....You didn't have a gun the car. I don't know what State you are in....It doesn't sound like a Capitol Crime to me. A dumb one yes...I did some pretty dumb things when I was 15 also. I think I'd go ahead and be honest with your Dad...He's going to find out anyway. Let the chips land where they may. I will say....My life started going straight downhill from your age on....Might not be a bad time to be careful picking your friends and watching what you drink and smoke. Just keep an eye on it.. I know it runs in families...It sure ran through mine. It's a good wake up call for you...Best of luck.