Notices

I want to drink and use until I pass out!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to drink and use until I pass out!

Aaarrrggghhhhh the cravings and obsession are on me. It's all I can do not to leave the house to head to the liquor store. I have a plan to have an early dinner with an AA friend and then head to a meeting together. Getting through the night after the meeting is another story.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Cravings are miserable..... I used to be out the door as soon as the thought even entered my mind. Once you start giving yourself time to think it through (and post at SR - which is great!), they get easier to get through. Just take it 10 minutes at a time, or whatever seems feasible...... This too shall pass, it really will!

The dinner plans sound great and who knows - it might be just what you need to get through the rest of the evening....... Think positive - you can do it!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey TL

Maybe you need to look past the short term here - you know where drinking and pill popping gets you.

There's no answers there - if there was, you wouldn't be here at SR.

Early recovery is tough - but the struggle is finite - you can deal with feeling uncomfortable, and yet not give into drinking to make it all go away.

The more I did that - the more I dealt with situations sober - the more I realised I was a long stronger than I ever realised - and the urge to run away, the urge to obliterate grew fainter and fainter with time.

You can do it too - think about who you want to be
D
Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

You can do it! Hang in there.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

TigerLili, try to understand your cravings when it comes up. Just trying to let it pass is better than craving into it but if you don't know why you have those cravings and obsession then the next time it comes up you may just crave into it.

Found out what come to that part that you want to drink. Most people have a reason for cravings.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My reason for craving is that I am an alcoholic and breathing lol.

Dee - I will try and remember the discomfort is finite. That's a very good point.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My counsellor always told me to remember, the cravings do pass, I was always grateful when I waited them out until I could think more clearly - I now realize that each time, I was reinforcing my sobriety. It sounds like you have a good strategy, recognizing the craving for what it is and implementing the relapse prevention strategy is a great deal of what it's all about.

I'm speaking as someone who once had difficulty getting through five minutes without thinking of a drink, everything else seemed to revolve those thoughts, I know how hard it is in the beginning but it does get easier over time and I am very glad to be rid of this obsession in my life.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

All things will pass. Getting tied up in myself when I am stressed in unhelpful- I was reminded of that today
Old 04-24-2012, 02:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Aaarrrggghhhhh the cravings and obsession are on me. It's all I can do not to leave the house to head to the liquor store. I have a plan to have an early dinner with an AA friend and then head to a meeting together. Getting through the night after the meeting is another story.
Sounds like a good plan...Have a good list of phone numbers...You can always call someone and talk....Or hang out on this site...You know what I did early on?...I read that Big Book till I understood it...Then I got a sponsor and worked the steps...That kept me busy enough I didn't have time to sit around thinking about how bad I wanted a drink. Before you know it...I don't have the obsession to drink anymore...Just like that book promised me....Unreal. Like a fricken miracle.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I took my first dose of naltrexone and had a drink about an hour later, before I met my AA friend for dinner. I nearly passed out. Not a good thing! I had to leave the meeting a few minutes later and go home to lie down.

I was toying with the idea of taking the naltrexone while still drinking - I read that some programs allow that. But I can't drink. It's really stupid.

I need to focus on having a better strategy in place when I get cravings until the naltrexone and campral kick in.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i have a lot emotional pain built up over the years... long story.

and i feel like (recently) that i would rather just pass out than pretend i can get some sleep. take your meds, try not to drink. i'm sure the advise is quite the same... alcohol is not going to solve anything.